Sundakkai Paruppu Kuzhambu / Sundakkai Sambar, how to prepare tasty and delicious sambar using fresh turkey berries, raw mango and toor dal.
Sundakkai is crushed using mortar and pestle stone. Sundakkai is cooked together with toor dal, raw mango and sambar powder in a clay pot. This gives a unique taste to dish and more rustic look. Serve this Paruppu Kuzhambu with rice topped with a tsp of ghee. It just tastes heavenly. Instead of raw mango, you can also tamarind extract.
Other sambar varieties shared in the blog, Brahmi Leaves / Vallarai Keerai Sambar, Uppu Sambar, Drumstick Leaves / Murungai Keerai Sambar, Mulaikattiya Payatham Paruppu Sambar and Dry Chilli Sambar. If you try any of my recipes, do share your feedback with us. Please do check our YouTube channel for the recipe videos and subscribe us if you like the recipe.
- 1 cup toor dal / tuvaram paruppu
- ½ cup sundakkai
- 1 big onion - chopped
- 3 garlic flakes
- 4 slices of mango cubes
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 2 and ½ tsp sambar powder
- asofoetida- a pinch
- salt to taste
- 1 tomato
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- Please check the instructions below.
How to Sundakkai Paruppu Kuzhambu
- Pressure cook toor dal, tomato and garlic with 2 cup of water for 4-5 whistles. Mash dal and keep aside.
- Crush sundakkai using mortar and pestle stone and keep aside. Heat 3 tbsp gingelly oil in a clay pot. Temper mustard seeds.
- Add sundakkai and cook for a minute. Remove them and add to the mashed dal. Add cumin seeds in the same oil and let it crackle.
- Now add chopped onions and curry leaves. Sauté a while. Add raw mango cubes and stir well.
- Keep stirring. Now add asofoetida and sambar powder. Add mashed dal and sundakkai. Also add 1 or 2 cup water. Mix well everything.
- Finally add salt and cook covered for 10 minutes. Serve sambar with rice.
Recipe Video :