Vanilla Sponge Cake, today we will see how to prepare basic vanilla sponge cake using steam method.
This is butterless version of vanilla cake. I have also added banana to the batter. This cake is very simple and makes a great evening time snack. You can replace brown sugar with honey or powdered jaggery. Similarly you can replace multigrain flour with wheat flour or refined wheat flour (maida).
Those who doesn’t have steamer pan, can try this cake with Idli Steamer / Cooker, or use any wok or kadai. Instead of baking cakes, try this interesting method of steaming the cake.
The water drops formed inside the steamer lid may wet the cake, so to avoid that we are loosely covering the top of the cake pan with foil sheet. After 20-25 mins, you can start checking the cake if it is cooked or not. Insert a toothpick or wooden skewer stick in the center of cake and it should come out clean. If not, then close the steamer lid and allow to cook. This is a big advantage of steamed cakes, you can check it frequently if cooked or not. You can also refer similar steamed cakes like Milk Powder Cake, Orange Honey Cake, No Soak Fruit Cake & Mawa Cake.
If you try any of my recipes, do share your feedback with us. Please do check our YouTube channel for the recipe videos and subscribe us if you like the recipe.
Basic Vanilla Sponge Cake
- 1 cup Multigrain flour
- 1 and ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- ¼ cup curd
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1 medium sized banana - mashed
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- Please check the instructions below.
How to prepare Steamed Banana Cake
- Take a mixing bowl and add one egg. Whisk it using electric beater or hand whisk. Add another egg and whisk again. Now add mashed banana, vanilla essence and brown sugar. Blend everything well.
- Add curd and whisk. Now add olive oil and blend well. Keep it aside. Sieve multigrain flour, baking powder and baking soda. Add flour to wet mixture and fold everything well. Transfer the batter to greased and flour dusted cake pan.
- Fill steamer pan with enough water and heat it at low-medium flame. Once water starts boiling in the steamer pan, switch it to low flame. Keep the cake pan inside a sieve and cover the cake pan loosely with aluminum foil sheet.
- Close the steamer lid and switch the flame to low-medium. Steam cook for 30-35 mins. Check the cake by inserting a toothpick at the center. It should come out clean. Turn off the stove and remove cake pan carefully. Let the cake rest in pan for 5 mins. Now remove cake carefully from the pan. Let it cool for another 10-15 mins and serve it.
Recipe Video :