Vazhakkai Samai Cutlet, learn how to prepare healthy cutlet recipe using raw banana and little millet. This recipe is completely vegan and can be served as evening snacks to the kids.
Vazhakkai is pressure cooked and mashed. The mashed raw banana is combined with masala paste and cooked samai arisi. We are shallow frying the cutlets using groundnut oil. To make the cutlet crispy, you can add crushed aval or breadcrumbs as outer coating.
The cutlet dough will be a bit sticky and wet. You can keep the dough in fridge for minimum 10 minutes and then shallow fry to retain the shape of cutlet. Other than raw banana, you can try this cutlet with potato, sweet potato, Paneer or any veggies. Similarly replace samai with varagu or kuthirvaali sirudhaniyam. If you are looking for more cutlet recipes, then do check Baked Paneer Millet Cutlet, Mixed Veg Cutlet, Beetroot Chickpeas Cutlet & Peanut Cabbage Cutlet. Please do check our YouTube channel for the recipe videos and subscribe us if you like the recipe.
Vazhakkai Samai Cutlet
- To grind :
- 1 onion - chopped
- ¼ cup chopped coconut
- ½ tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 3 cloves
- ¼ cinnamon stick
- 1 tsp saunf
- 1 tsp jeera
- 1 dry red chili
- 1 tbsp pottukadalai / chutney gram
- 2 stick curry leaves
- For cutlet :
- 1 raw banana
- ¼ cup samai / little millet
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- Salt to taste
- Asofoetida- a pinch
- 3 tbsp besan / kadalai maavu
- Please check the instructions below.
How to prepare Raw Banana Cutlet
- Pressure cook raw banana with skin in enough water for 6-7 whistles. Remove from the heat and allow to cool. Now remove the skin and mash vazhakkai.
- Meanwhile, heat a vessel with 4-5 cup water and allow to boil. Add samai arisi and let it cook for 10 minutes so that it becomes soft and mushy. Drain the water completely and keep samai aside.
- Grind onion, coconut, curry leaves, ginger garlic paste , pottukadalai, asofoetida, saunf, jeera, red chili, cloves and cinnamon stick in a mixer to coarse paste. Do not add water while grinding. Transfer it to a bowl.
- Now add coriander powder and salt to the paste. Combine cooked samai, mashed vazhakkai and masala paste together. Add besan flour and knead well.
- Keep the dough covered in fridge for 20-30 minutes. Heat a tava or panfor shallow frying. Add 1 or 2 tbsp oil. Make cutlets and fry them adding little oil. Let it cook all over the side and remove from the heat. Serve warm with coconut chutney or mint chutney.
Recipe Video :