Masala Vadai Kurma, today we will see how to prepare masala vadai kurma by following these simple steps. I have already shared the recipe of masala vadai puli kuzhambu which is also my family’s favourite curry.
The recipe is very simple and can be served with rice or roti. Masala vadai is soaked in kurma which is nothing but coconut based curry. Masala vadai should be added after switching off the flame because vadai becomes too soft after soaked. I have used ammikallu to grind the masala and clay pot to cook the curry, so you can guess how delicious it would have been. This is a simple coconut based curry flavoured with sambar powder and coriander powder.
Please do check our YouTube channel for the recipe videos and subscribe us if you like the recipe. Some of the village style non veg recipes shared in my blog, Uppu Kozhi Varuval, Karuvepillai Kozhi Varuval, Naatu Kozhi Kuzhambu / Country Chicken Curry – with Coconut, Kongu Style Kozhi Kuzhambu & Kongu Style Aatu Kari Kuzhambu / Mutton Curry – Kongunadu Special.
Masala Vadai Kurma
- For vadai :
- 1 cup Channa Dal / kadalai Paruppu/ split Bengal gram
- 2 onions - chopped
- few curry leaves
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp saunf / fennel seeds
- For curry :
- 1 cup chopped coconut bits - grind to paste
- ½ cup chopped onion
- ½ cup chopped tomatoes
- 2 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 3 tsp sambar powder
- 3 tsp coriander powder
- Curry leaves
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- ½ tsp pepper powder
- Please check the instructions below.
How to cook Vadai Kurma
- To prepare masala vadai, soak 1 cup Channa Dal in water for 2 hrs. Next, drain the water completely and grind Channa Dal with jeera and saunf. Do not add water while grinding. We need coarse paste. Transfer to a bowl.
- Add chopped onion, dry chili, curry leaves, ginger garlic paste and salt. Mix all and keep it aside for 10 mins. Heat oil for deep frying and cook masala vadai. Keep them aside.
- Prepare coconut paste and keep aside. Heat groundnut oil in a pot or pan. Temper mustard seeds, cumin seeds and fennel seeds. Add chopped onions and curry leaves.
- Saute a while. Add chopped tomatoes and ginger garlic paste. Stir well. Add coconut paste, hing, sambar powder, coriander powder and salt to taste. Now add 3-4 cup water and mix well. Let it cook covered for 10 minutes.
- Add pepper powder and more water if needed. Cook for another 5 minutes. Add masala vadai and switch off the flame. Serve curry with rice or roti.
Recipe Video :