Pacha Thakkali Kootu, today we will see how to prepare green tomato and Moong dal curry using freshly prepared coconut masala.
I didn’t use mixie to prepare the masala instead used ammikallu / masala grinding stone / silbhatta. Once you start using ammikallu, you will get used to the taste of masala prepared in an ammikallu. I don’t use it in the morning because I always cook breakfast and lunch in an hurry. To enjoy the process of grinding masala, you mind should be relaxed. So I make use of it in the evening when I have abundant time and my little fella doesn’t bother me.
Green tomato will be little tangy in taste so you can use either 2 or 3 to prepare the Kootu curry. Some of the other kootu recipes shared in my blog, Athikai Kootu, Thoothuvalai Keerai Kootu, Zucchini Kootu, Chow Chow Kootu & Lauki Kootu. If you try any of my recipes, do share your feedback. Please do check our YouTube channel for the recipe videos and subscribe us if you like the recipe.
Pacha Thakkali Kootu
- ⅔ green tomatoes- chopped
- 1 onion - chopped
- 1 stick curry leaves
- ½ cup grated coconut
- 3 garlic flakes
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- ½ cup siru paruppu / split Moong dal
- 2 tsp oil
- 1 dry red chili
- Please check the instructions below.
How to prepare Green Tomato Curry
- Prepare masala paste either using mixie or ammikallu. Grind 1/2 cup grated coconut, 3-4 garlic flakes, 1 dry red chili and 1 tsp cumin seeds to fine paste adding little water.
- Heat 2 tsp gingelly oil in a pressure cooker and temper mustard seeds. Add chopped onions and curry leaves. Stir well.
- Add chopped tomatoes, masala paste, turmeric powder, hing, Moong dal and salt to taste. Mix all. Add 1 or 2 cup water and close the lid. Pressure cook for 3 whistles. Serve curry with rice.
Recipe Video :