Sweet Nellikai Thokku, today we will see a very interesting and healthy recipe using Amla and jaggery. Also know as Amla chunda.
Amla and jaggery combination works very well. You can replace jaggery with sugar and try. This is a no oil recipe. We cook Amla with jaggery, cloves, cinnamon and water till Amla softens and thickens.
Serve Amla Thokku with roti, poori, use as a spread for bread or simply with rice. If refrigerated, it can last upto 1 week or more than that. Please do check our YouTube channel for the recipe videos and subscribe us if you like the recipe. Do check The Best Amla Recipes post for different types of recipes.
Sweet Nellikai Thokku
- 30 Amla / Nellikai/ Indian gooseberries
- 1 cup palm jaggery
- ½ cup water
- 2-3 cloves
- ¼ cinnamon stick
- Please check the instructions below.
How to prepare South Indian style Amla Sweet Pickle
- Pressure cook Amla with enough water for 1 whistle. Drain the water and use for cooking curries. Let Amla come to room temperature.
- Deseed Amla and chop into small pieces. Heat a Kalchatti or kadai. Add chopped Amla, jaggery, water, cloves and cinnamon. Mix all and cook covered for 10-15 minutes.
- Now use a masher and mash amla till it becomes soft and thick. Switch off the flame once all the moisture dries. Store in a clean container.