Payatham Paruppu (Moong Dal or Green Gram) Urundai, this recipe is also known as Payaru Urundai / Suzhiyan / Suzhiyam/ Sukhiyan / Sugiyan. I learnt this dessert from my grandma. She used to prepare this whenever we went for vacation to visit her. You can have it as evening snack. Children’s will prefer this. The sweet balls are dipped in maida batter and then deep fried. I have also shared the version of this recipe using wheat flour.
Some of the other diwali special sweet recipes shared in my blog, Khoya Gulab Jamun, Kaju Katli, Thengai Poli, Moong Dal Halwa and Peanut Gujia. I have shared some 80 plus diwali recipes, do check them out. If you try any of my recipes, do share your feedback with us.
- 250 gms green gram (sabut moong / whole green gram / payatham paruppu)
- 250 gms gur (jaggery)
- 3 green cardamom
- 250 gms maida
- cooking oil
How to prepare Payaru Urundai
- Fry the green gram in a kadhai till it turns brown.
|Fried Green Grams|
- Cook the fried green grams with 1 cup water in a pressure cooker for 3-4 whistle till it gets cooked.
|Pressure Cook the green grams|
|Pressure cooked green grams|
- Prepare a smooth batter with maida like idli batter and add pinch of salt.
- Smash the gur and mix with the green grams. Remember to drain out the water completely. And mix green cardamom. Now grind the mixture either in a mixie or grinder. It shouldn’t get smooth or sticky.
- Make small balls of the paste. Take a ball and dip it in maida batter.
|Balls dipped in maida batter|
- Heat oil in a kadhai. Put the balls in oil and let it fry till the color changes to golden brown. Repeat the procedure for other balls.
|Payatham Paruppu(Green Gram) Urundai|