Avial is good for health since we prepare it using all the vegetables. You can also add potato, cauliflower and green peas. It will be less spicy.
- 1/2 cup carrot – peeled and chopped
- 1 cup chopped kovakkai (Ivy gourd or tindora)
- 1/2 cup bangalore kathirikkai (Chayote Squash or chow chow) – peeled and chopped
- 1 cup nookal – peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup raw banana – peeled and chopped
- 1 drumstick
- 1 cup avarakkai (broad beans)
- 1 cup chopped brinjal
- 1 onion
- 1 tomato
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 cup grated coconut
- 2 green chillies
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- Grind coconut and green chilli to smooth paste and keep aside. Take a pan and add 2-3 cup water according to vegetable level. Add rough vegetables like nookal, bangalore kathirikkai and carrots first. Add other vegetables after 2 mins. Add brinjal at last since it will get cooked easily.
- Cook it covered. In this way vegetable will get cooked soon. In another kadhai, add oil and temper mustard seeds. Add chopped onions and tomatoes. Saute a while and add to the vegetable pan.
- Add coconut paste, turmeric powder, cumin powder and salt to taste. Mix well everything. Cook it covered for 15-20 mins and serve hot with steamed rice or chapati.