Mezhagu / Milagu Kuzhambu (Black Pepper Curry) is a traditional food of TamilNadu, which is tamarind based curry and easy to prepare. Since we are not using coconut here, it can be stored for a week in refrigerator. I learnt this recipe from my mom’s friend and sharing it here,
Preparation time : 30 mins for soaking
Cooking time : 10-15 mins
To Dry Roast & Grind :
- 1 tbsp black peppercorns
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- 1/4 tsp fenugreek seeds
- 3-4 dry red chilies
Fry & Grind :
- 1 tsp gingelly oil (or) any vegetable oil
- 20 pearl onions / sambar vengayam
- 2 medium sized tomatoes
For Curry :
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
- lemon sized tamarind ball – soaked in 1 cup water for 20-30 mins
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 2-3 tbsp gingelly oil / sesame seeds oil (or) any vegetable choice
- 5-6 curry leaves
- Dry roast coriander seeds, fenugreek seeds, dry red chilli and peppercorns till nice aroma comes. Remove from the heat and allow to cool. Grind it in mixie to coarse powder. Keep it aside.
- Heat 1 tsp oil in a pan or kadhai and fry onions and tomatoes for a min on low flame. Remove from the heat and allow to cool. Grind it in mixie to smooth paste. Keep it aside. Squeeze tamarind pulp and extract water. Keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a pan or kadhai and temper mustard seeds and curry leaves. Add onion-tomato paste & ginger-garlic paste. Saute a while.
- Add turmeric powder, freshly ground powder and tamarind water. Add salt to taste and mix everything well. Add more water if needed.
- Cook it covered on low flame till oil separates and curry becomes thick. You can also sprinkle little pepper powder at the time of serving. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves. Serve hot with steamed rice or pongal.
- If you do not have pearl onions, then use 2 medium sized onions and fry them with tomatoes.