Karuveppilai Eral Thokku / Prawn Thokku / Prawn Curry Leaves Masala, today we will see how to prepare tamilnadu style eral thokku / prawn masala recipe with step by step photographs. Karuveppilai eral thokku is nothing but prawn masala flavored with curry leaves and spices.
|Eral Thokku – Old Photo|
A south indian style prawn masala preparation which is not only easy to prepare but also filled with the nice flavors of curry leaves and fresh ground masala. Karuveppilai eral thokku is one of our family’s favorite recipe which I have tried ‘n’ number of time. My husband who doesn’t like prawns just love this curry. I have shared a video on how to clean prawns along with step by step pictures which you can refer.
For karuveppilai eral thokku recipe, we need to first prepare masala paste by grinding coriander seeds, pepper, curry leaves, onion and tomato. For a south indian touch, try to always use shallots (sambar vengayam / chinna vengayam) instead of big onions. Marinate prawns with a pinch of turmeric powder for at least 10 minutes. Wash it and then use for cooking. Prawns are cooked with this fresh ground masala to perfection. Eral Thokku can be served with plain cooked rice or as a side dish for roti / chapati.
Some of the famous indian style prawn recipes shared in my blog, Prawn Varuval, Chemmeen Pollichattu, Prawn Pepper Celery, Andhra style Prawn Pulao and Easy Prawn Biryani. If you try any of my recipes, then do share your feedback with us.
Karuveppilai Eral Thokku Recipe
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- 1 tsp pepper corns
- ¼ cup shallots - skin removed
- ¼ cup chopped tomato
- 20 curry leaves
- 250 gms prawns, cleaned and deveined
- 1 medium sized onion - chopped
- 1 medium sized tomato - chopped
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- ½ tsp red chili powder
- 1 tsp fennel seeds / saunf
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 stick curry leaves
- ½ cup water
- Please check the instructions below.
How to prepare South Indian Prawn Masala
- Prepare masala paste by grinding coriander seeds, pepper corns, pearl onions, 1/4 cup tomato and curry leaves to smooth paste adding enough water. Keep it aside. Heat 2 tbsp gingelly oil or ground nut oil in a kadai or pan. Temper mustard seeds, fennel seeds and curry leaves.
- Add chopped onions and fry for 2 mins. Add ginger-garlic paste and chopped tomatoes. Mash the pulp. Add ground paste, turmeric powder, red chili powder and prawns. Mix well everything. Add salt to taste and 1/2 cup water. Cook it covered for 10-15 mins. Sprinkle lemon juice if u like. Remove from the heat and serve with roti or rice.