|Manoli Kadle (Ivy Gourd & Kabuli Channa Curry)|
Manoli Kadle is a traditional Mangalorean Recipe, often served with rice. I have given a touch of vangibath powder instead of coriander seeds.
For Curry :
- 6-7 Ivy Gourd (kovakkai) – slice into 4 lengthwise
- 1/4 cup white kabuli channa – soaked overnight in water
- 1 tbsp chopped onions
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp red chili powder
- asofoetida – a pinch
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 4-5 curry leaves
Paste 1 :
- 1/2 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
- 1 tbsp vangibath powder
- little tamarind
Paste 2 :
- 1/4 cup chopped coconut
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 tbsp chopped onions
- Pressure cook channa with 1/2 cup water for 2-3 whistles. Remove from the heat and drain the water. Keep cooked channa aside.
- Pressure cook sliced ivy gourd with 1/4 cup water for 1 or 2 whistles. Drain the water and keep the cooked ivy gourd aside.
- Grind ingredients for paste 1 and paste 2 separately in a mixer adding little water. Keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a kadhai or pan. Tamper mustard seeds and curry leaves. Fry cooked ivy gourd for 2-5 mins.
- Add chopped onions and saute a while. Add cooked chickpeas and fry for another 2-5 mins.
- Add paste 1 and paste 2. Mix all. Add turmeric powder, red chili powder, asofeotida and salt to taste.
- Add 1/2 cup water and cook it covered for 15 mins. Sprinkle lemon juice and remove from the heat. Serve hot with rice or any indian bread variety.