|Mulangi Sambar (Radish Sambar)|
- 1/4 cup sliced radish
- 1 cup tovaram paruppu (toor dhal or yellow pigeon peas)
- lemon sized tamarind ball – soaked in 1 cup water for 30 mins
- 1 onion
- 4 garlic flakes
- 1 tomato
- 3 tsp sambar powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- asofoetida – a pinch
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 10 curry leaves
- 1 tbsp chopped coriander
- Pressure cook toor dhal, tomato and garlic flakes with 1 cup water for 3 whistles. Remove from the heat and let the pressure settle down.
- Mash the dhal mixture so that it becomes smooth. Heat oil in a small pan and temper mustard seeds. Add fennel seeds, chopped onions and curry leaves. Fry for few mins.
- Add sliced radish, turmeric powder, asofoetida and sambar powder. Add fried onions and salt to the sambar.
- Mix all and add tamarind extract. Add more water if needed. Close the lid and pressure cook it for two whistles. Serve hot with rice or idli/dosa.