|Aloo, Beets & Carrot Bonda|
For Bonda :
- 4 potatoes – boiled and mashed
- 1/4 cup grated beetroot
- 1/4 cup grated carrot
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp red chili powder
- 1/4 tsp cumin powder
- 1/4 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- asofoetida – a pinch
- salt to taste
- 2 tsp mustard seeds
- 2 tbsp chopped coriander
For Outer Covering :
- 2 cup besan (gram flour)
- 1 tbsp rice flour
- 1/4 tsp red chili powder
- baking powder – a pinch
- salt to taste
- Mash the boiled potatoes and keep aside. Heat 2 tsp oil in a pan or kadhai and temper 1 tsp mustard seeds.
- Add grated carrot and beetroot. Fry till the moisture is absorbed. Remove from the heat and keep aside.
- Heat 1 tsp oil in the same pan and temper remaining mustard seeds. Add asofoetida and chopped onions.
- Fry for few mins. Add ginger-garlic paste and mashed potatoes. Mix well. Add turmeric powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, coriander powder, red chili powder and salt to taste.
- Mix all and saute a while. Add lemon juice and cook for 2-5 mins. Remove from the heat and combine with fried carrot and beetroot.
- Combine all in a mixing bowl and add chopped coriander to it. Mix well and keep aside.
- Prepare bonda batter by mixing gram flour, baking powder, red chili powder, rice flour and salt in a bowl.
- Add enough water to make thick batter like bajji batter. Make sure it doesn’t have any lumps. Keep it aside for 10 mins.
- Heat oil for frying in a kadai or pan. Make small lemon sized balls of the bonda mixture. Dip a ball in bonda batter and drop carefully in oil once it is hot. Make sure it is fully coated with the batter.
- Fry bonda till it turns golden brown. Proceed with the remaining bonda and remove from the heat. Drain the excess oil using absorbent tissue paper and serve hot with coconut chutney or tomato sauce.