|Gongura Chutney / Pulicha Keerai Chutney|
- 1 cup finely chopped gongura leaves (Red Sorrel Leaves) – discard stems
- 1 small onion
- 3 green chilies
- 1 dry red chili
- 3 garlic flakes
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- 1/4 tsp fenugreek seeds
- asofoetida – a pinch
- salt to taste
- 2 tsp mustard seeds
- Heat 1 tsp oil in a pan or kadhai and temper mustard seeds. Add fenugreek seeds and coriander seeds. Saute a while.
- Remove fenugreek and coriander seeds from the oil and keep it aside. Add broken red chili, garlic flakes, chopped onion and green chilies to the same oil.
- Fry for few mins and remove from the oil and mix with fried fenugreek & coriander.
- Add chopped gongura leaves and fry in oil till it turns mashy. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- Combine all the fried ingredients and grind in a mixer without adding water. Heat 2 tsp oil in a pan or kadhai and temper mustard seeds.
- Add gongura paste, asofoetida and salt to taste. Cook for 2-5 mins and remove from the heat. Allow to cool and store in an air-tight bottle. Serve with rice.
- We are not adding water while grinding to improve its shell life. It can be stored in fridge for a week.
- If the leaves are not much soar, you can add little tamarind while frying in oil.