|Zucchini Moong Dal (Zucchini & Whole Green Gram Curry)|
Recipe is adapted from “Diabetes Cookbook” by Nita Mehta. I have made few changes with the ingredients to satisfy our taste.
- 1 Zucchini – cut into round slices
- 1 cup moong dal (whole green gram / payatham paruppu) – soaked overnight in water
- 1/4 cup chopped pearl onion
- 4 garlic flakes
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp pepper powder
- asofoetida – a pinch
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 5-6 curry leaves
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp onion vadagam
- 1/2 tsp fenugreek seeds
- 2 dry red chilies
- Pressure cook moong dal and garlic flakes with 2 cup water for 2-3 whistles. Remove from the heat and allow to cool. Drain the excess water.
- Heat 1 tsp oil in a pan or kadhai. Tamper mustard seeds and fenugreek seeds. Add broken red chilies, curry leaves, vadagam and chopped onion. Fry for few mins.
- Add zucchini and cook for few mins. Add turmeric powder, pepper powder and asofoetida. Saute a while.
- Add cooked dal and salt to taste. Mix all. Add 1/2 cup water and cook it covered for 5 mins. Add lemon juice and cook for 5-10 mins. Serve hot with rice or roti.