|Dal Tadka / Tempered Lentils|
Dal is an excellent source of protein. We always include dal in our diet twice or thrice a week. My mother prepares dal in the same way as north indians do. But she prepares dal tadka with tuvar dal (tuvaram paruppu).
I saw this recipe in Tarla Dalal's Cookbook where it is prepared with yellow moong dal and masoor dal. As this was new combination to me, i tried it and served with Aloo Paneer Kulcha. You can serve this dal with any indian bread or rice. But i like to have it with dipped kara boondi.
- 3/4 cup masoor dal (mysore paruppu / split red lentils)
- 1/4 cup yellow moong dal (siru paruppu / split yellow gram)
- 1 medium sized onion - finely chopped
- 1 medium sized tomato - finely chopped
- 2 green chilies - slit at the end
- 3-4 dry red chilies
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- 1 tsp grated garlic
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- asofoetida - a pinch
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp kalonji seeds (nigella seeds)
- 5-8 curry leaves
- 1 tbsp chopped coriander
- Wash the dals and pressure cook with grated ginger, grated garlic, green chilies with 2-3 cup water for 3-4 whistles.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool. Open the lid and discard green chilies. Mash the dal till smooth and keep aside.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil/ghee in a pan or kadai. Tamper mustard seeds, red chilies and nigella seeds. Add finely chopped onions and curry leaves. Fry for a minute.
- Add chopped tomatoes and cook for 2 mins. Add mashed dal, turmeric powder, asofoetida and salt to taste. Stir everything well.
- Add 1 cup water or more if needed. Cook it on low flame till it starts boiling. Garnish with chopped coriander and serve hot with rice or roti.
Check out other Dal Varieties :