|Kadalai Mittai / Peanut Balls / Peanut Chikki|
Kadalai Mittai is a famous ready to eat sweet in Tamilnadu. In north they call it as Chikki. Kadalai Mittai is prepared from peanuts and jaggery. It requires only 3-4 ingredients. You can also prepare Chikki with Dry fruits, Roasted Gram, Sesame Seeds or Puffed Rice. The only difference between Chikki and Urundai (Balls) are Chikki is cut into rectangular shapes and Kadalai Mittai is formed as Balls. You can also use sugar instead of jaggery.
- 1 cup peanuts
- 3/4 cup jaggery
- 1/4 cup water
- Heat a pan or kadhai and dry roast peanuts till all turns brown. Remove from the heat. Let it cool for 2 mins. Now transfer the roasted peanuts to a kitchen cloth. Close all the sides of towel and rub the peanuts. Phew off the skin and keep aside.
- Heat water in a non-stick pan. Add jaggery to it and use a wood ladle to stir. It will make your work easy. Now stir the jaggery on low medium flame.
- Once jaggery is dissolved completely, bubbles will form. Stir them continuously at this stage. Now take a bowl of water and keep aside. When the syrup becomes thick, pour a drop of syrup into water. If you are able to form a ball with that drop then this is correct consistency otherwise stir the syrup and keep on check the consistency.
- Once you reach the correct consistency, add peanuts to it and stir continuously. Switch off the flame and keep the pan aside. Let it cool for a minute and grease your palm with ghee or just wet your palm and start making balls.
- If you want to make chikki, then grease a plate and pour the peanuts mixture to the greased plate and spread it equally all the sides.
- When it is lukewarm, cut into rectangular shapes using knife. Store it in an air-tight container. Serve and enjoy.