|Aloo (Potato) Gulab Jamun|
My family is a big fan of Gulab Jamun. But we never prepared it from the scratch. We always made use of Instant Mix. Last week for my husband’s birthday, i planned to prepare gulab jamun from the scratch. I referred a cookbook for aloo jamun and tried it. No words to express as it was too delicious and no one believed that it was made from potatoes. Lets move on to check the recipe,
- 2 big potatoes – boiled and mashed
- 1/6 cup maida (all purpose flour)
- 1 tsp ghee / clarified butter
- a pinch of baking soda
To Prepare Sugar Syrup :
- 2-3 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- few drops of rose essence
- a pinch of cardamom seeds powder
- Boil the potatoes and peel outer skin. Mash the potatoes and keep aside. Sieve Maida and keep aside.
- Combine ghee and baking soda in a mixing bowl. Add maida to it and mix well. Add mashed potatoes and knead to smooth dough without adding water. Add more maida if needed and keep aside for 10 mins.
- Grease your palm with little oil and make small lemon sized balls of the dough. To prepare sugar syrup, take a deep kadhai or pan & add sugar and 1 cup water. Heat it over low flame till sugar gets dissolved. The syrup should be of sticky consistency.
- Heat oil/ghee in a heavy bottomed kadai or pan for deep frying. Keep it in medium flame and make sure the oil is not too hot otherwise the balls wont get cooked from inside. Only the outer layer will get cooked.
- Fry 5 to 6 balls at a time and once it turns golden brown switch it to low flame and fry the remaining balls on low flame. Remove the balls from the heat and put it in sugar syrup. Let it soak for 2-3 hours and then serve.