|Chicken Biriyani with Homemade Masala Powder|
Today we are here with another virtual b’day party of our dear friend Sangeetha Priya of NithasKitchen. This time we planned Potluck Party Theme and each one of us selected a category for party menu. I had selected Rice/Biriyani. I referred her Shrimp Biriyani and made some changes according to my taste. Sangee, the biriyani was awesome da. We totally enjoyed it 🙂
Sangeetha is a lovely person with whom you would feel so fun to talk. We mostly talk about personal issues and blogging. Her blog is a collection of traditional Kongu Recipes and also i admire her amazing baking skills.
Happy Birthday Sangee !!
May your birthday be filled with sunshine and smiles, laughter, love, and cheer.
- For Biriyani :
- 3 cup Basmati Rice – soaked in water for 30 mins
- 500 gms Chicken – cleaned & washed
- 2 medium sized onions – finely chopped
- 1 green chili – slit at the end
- 1 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 2 medium sized tomatoes – finely chopped
- 1 cup mint leaves
- ½ cup chopped coriander leaves
- 1 cup coconut milk
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 4 tbsp cooking oil
- 1 star anise
- 1 bay leaf
- To Roast & Grind :
- 1 tbsp fennel seeds
- 4 cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 green cardamom
- ½ tbsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp peppercorns
- 2 bay leaf
- 1 tsp dry ginger powder (sonth)
- 1 tsp nutmeg powder
- Please check the instructions below.
How to prepare Chicken Biryani
- Dry roast all the above mentioned ingredients for few seconds and allow to cool. Grind in a mixer to coarse powder. Keep it aside.
- Heat 4 tbsp oil in a pan or handi and temper star anise & bay leaf. Add chopped onions and green chili. Fry for a minute on low flame.
- Add chopped tomatoes and mash the pulp. Now, Add ginger-garlic paste and saute a while.
- Add mint leaves and coriander leaves. Saute a while. Add ground masala powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder and red chili powder. Saute a while.
- Add chicken pieces and a pinch of salt. Stir well and add 1/2 cup water. Cook it covered on low flame for 10 mins.
- Add coconut milk and allow to boil. Now, Add 4 cup water and allow to boil. Add drained rice, salt and sprinkle little lemon juice.
- Mix everything well and cook it covered on medium flame for 10 mins. You can keep it on dum for 5 mins and serve hot with raita and any non-veg gravy.