|Savory Semolina Cake using Pressure Cooker|
Yes you heard it right. When i was looking for some savory and healthy cakes, i found this recipe here. I gave it a immediate try by adjusting few ingredients of my choice. Instead of baking in an oven, i tried to cook in pressure cooker.
If we bake in an oven, the outer part will be crispy but since i used pressure cooker, the outer part was soft. If you want the outer part to be brown and little crispy, then you can fry the cake in a frying pan for few mins.
- 1 cup roasted rava (semolina / sooji)
- 1 cup curd / yogurt
- 1/2 - 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp finely chopped carrot
- 2 tbsp finely chopped onion
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp red chili powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
- 1 tbsp sunflower seeds (optional)
- Mix semolina, onion, carrot, turmeric powder, red chili powder and garam masala in a bowl.
- Add curd and water to it and mix well. Heat 1-2 tsp oil in a pan or kadhai and tamper mustard seeds.
- Add this tempering to cake batter. Add salt to taste and chopped coriander. Mix well everything and keep aside for 20 mins.
- If water is completely absorbed then add little water to prepare batter of pouring consistency.
- Remove the weight from pressure cooker lid. Now fill the cooker with sand till 2 inches. Now keep the plate(which comes along with pressure cooker) above the sand and close the lid without weight.
- Heat the cooker on low heat for 10 mins. Take the round cake pan and grease with little oil. Add baking powder to the cake batter.
- Mix well and pour the cake batter in the pan. Sprinkle sunflower seeds to get crunchy taste.
- Open the lid of cooker and place the cake pan inside the cooker carefully. Close the lid and cook on medium flame for 20 mins. Open the lid and insert toothpick to check whether cake is cooked. It should come out clean.
- Switch off the flame and remove the cake pan from the cooker and keep it aside for 5 mins. Remove from the pan and Serve hot with any chutney of your choice.