|Sago Upma (Javvarisi / Sabu dana Upma)|
Sago Upma is very easy to prepare and it takes less time to cook. It can be served as breakfast or for evening snack. Usually Common Sago which are little big and white in color is used to prepare Upma/Khichdi. In south India, we use nylon sago which are small and transparent. We use it to prepare dessert and it would be enough if we soak in water for 30 mins. But due to various varieties, sometimes the soaking and cooking time varies.
The nylon sago which i used for this recipe took so long to soak and i had to cook it in water for few mins to make it soft. Adjust your soaking and cooking time accordingly. I got few tips from my aunt and tried this recipe. The peanuts added will give a crunchy taste and lemon juice will make it little tangy.
- 3/4 cup Nylon Sago – washed & soaked overnight or for 4-5 hours
- 1/4 cup roasted peanuts
- 1 medium sized onion – finely sliced
- 2 green chilies – finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- asofoetida- a pinch
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp urad dal (ultham paruppu / black gram)
- 1 tsp channa dal (kadala paruppu / bengal gram)
- 5-6 curry leaves
- 1 tbsp chopped coriander
To Cook Sago :
- Wash and soak sago in water for 4-5 hrs or overnight. Soak in enough water to cover its top. If the water gets absorbed, then add little more water. I soaked it overnight.
- But next day, most of the sago were still dry so i cooked sago in enough water with 1 tbsp oil for 2 mins on low flame. Then drain the water completely through strainer and spread sago on a plate. Let it cool for sometime. Then sprinkle 1-2 tbsp rice flour and mix with sago so that the grains separate. Keep sago aside.
To Prepare Upma :
- Grind roasted peanuts in a mixer or just crush to coarse powder using mortal & pestle. Keep it aside.
- Grease the inner walls of pan or kadhai with little oil and heat 1 tbsp oil. Tamper mustard seeds, urad dal and channa dal.
- Add chopped onions, curry leaves and green chilies. Saute a while. Add ground peanuts and turmeric powder.
- Saute a while. Add cooked sago and salt to taste. Add little oil in between cooking if needed. Mix everything well and garnish with chopped coriander.
- Cook for 2 mins on low flame and remove from the heat. At the time of serving, sprinkle lemon juice and serve hot/cold.