|Coconut & Condensed Milk Burfi (Thengai Barfi)|
As Diwali is nearing and there are only 11 days left, i’m all excited with sweet preparations, but at the same time i need to take care of those extra calories which takes an extreme jump during festival times. I know most of you face the similar situation 🙂
I had some left over dessicated coconut after trying out coconut cookies. I reserved it to prepare either ladoo or barfi. I’m getting bored with all healthy ladoo varieties. So this time i decided to try my hands with coconut burfi. I have already shared Cashew Barfi and Almond & Cashew Barfi. Initially, i used 1 cup dessicated coconut, 3/4 cup sugar and 1/4 cup water. But since the coconut was too dry, it ended up in failure. And barfi didnt bind well. So immediately i made use of condensed milk and cooked everything together. This method was successful and the barfi were melt in mouth type.
If you are using dry shredded coconut, then try this method which will not fail you. And in case of fresh coconut, you can prepare sugar syrup of 1 thread consistency and cook fresh shredded coconut along with it. Friends, do send me your feedback & photos of the recipe if you
tried from my blog. Don’t forget to check the compilation of 70 plus Diwali Sweets & Savories Recipes. Lets check the recipe,
- 1 cup dessicated unsweetened coconut
- 3/4 tin condensed milk
- 1 tsp cardamom powder
- 1 tbsp rose syrup – optional
- 3-4 tbsp ghee / clarified butter
- 1 tsp ghee – to grease the plate
- Dry roast dessicated coconut for few seconds and remove from the heat. Keep it aside. Grease a plate with 1 tsp ghee and keep it aside.
- Heat 1 tbsp ghee and condensed milk in a non stick pan on medium flame. Add dessicated coconut, cardamom powder and rose syrup to it.
- Mix well everything and stir frequently to avoid burning. Add 1 tbsp ghee in-between while stirring.
- Cook on low flame for 5-8 mins. Once it starts leaving the pan, add 1 tbsp ghee and stir well. Switch off the flame and transfer the barfi mixture to greased plate.
- Spread it equally all the sides. When it is lukewarm, cut into desired shapes using knife. Wrap it with cling firm and keep in refrigerator for 10-15 mins. After 15 mins, take out the pieces carefully and store it in an air-tight container.