|Malvani Style Chicken Curry|
Malvani Style Chicken Curry is less spicy but full of flavors. As a non-vegetarian, my family always prefer spicy non-veg curries. In this recipe, i have used 5 red chilies which gives less spice. You can adjust it according to your need. I had already shared Malvani Vatana Usal (Malvani Style Black Channa Curry). I tried this curry with chicken and it tastes yum with fresh aroma of malwani masala.
"Malvani Cuisine is the standard cuisine of the Konkan region of Maharashtra and Goa, and some northern parts of West Karnataka. Although Malvani cuisine is predominantly non-vegetarian, there are many vegetarian delicacies. Although it is an independent cuisine, it overlaps Maharashtrian cuisine and Goan cuisine.
Malvan is a town in the Sindhudurg district on the west coast of Maharashtra.
Malvani cuisine uses coconut liberally in various forms such as grated, dry grated, fried, coconut paste and coconut milk.
Many masalas have dried red chilies and other spices like coriander seeds, peppercorns, cumin, cardamom, ginger, garlic, etc. Some dishes also use kokum, dried kokam (amsul), tamarind, and raw mango (kairi).
However not all of the cuisine is hot and spicy. The 'Konkanastha Brahmin' style of food is quite bland yet very tasty and vegetarian too.
Fish dishes dominate the Malvani cuisine. The Malvani cuisine is very similar to Goan or coastal South Indian cuisine." - Wiki source
Preparation Time : 30 mins
Cooking Time : 30 mins
For Curry :
- 200 gms Chicken
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup finely chopped tomatoes
- 1/4 cup tamarind water
- 1 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp red chili powder - optional
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- salt to taste
- 4 tbsp mustard oil (or any other oil of your choice)
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 2 green cardamom
- 1 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
To Dry Roast & Grind :
- 5 dry red chilies
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- 1/2 tsp black cumin seeds (shah-jeera)
- 4 cloves
- 1/2 cinnamon
- 1 star anise
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 tsp chopped coconut
To Prepare Malvani Masala :
- Dry roast all the above mentioned ingredients in a pan or kadhai for few seconds till nice aroma comes. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- Grind everything in a mixer to smooth paste adding little water. Keep the masala aside.
To Prepare Curry :
- Marinate chicken with turmeric powder and keep aside for 20 mins. Heat mustard oil in a pressure cooker.
- Temper mustard seeds and cardamom. Add chopped onions and fry for a minute. Add chopped tomatoes and mash the pulp.
- Add ginger-garlic paste and saute a while. Add marinated chicken and tamarind water. Cook on low flame for 5 mins till oil separates.
- Add cumin powder and saute a while. Add prepared masala, salt to taste and 2-3 cup water. Mix well everything and add chopped coriander leaves.
- Close the lid and pressure cook on low-medium flame for 9-10 whistles. Remove from the heat and allow to cool. Serve this curry with rice or roti.
- If you want to avoid coconut, they try adding cashewnuts. Grind cashewnuts along with little water and add this to curry.
- The curry will be little watery if you pressure cook for 3-4 whistles. I cook for 10 whistles to make the curry little thick.
- Adding mustard oil is optional. You can instead add canola oil, olive oil or any other vegetable oil. But mustard oil gives a nice flavor to this curry.