Murgh Chole Masala (Chicken & Chickpeas Curry), Today i’m sharing an unique and interesting combo of chicken and chickpeas in a north-Indian style curry. Chicken and Channa are cooked together in curd based curry along with fresh ground chole masala. Cook the curry for 10 whistles to make it thick, and this way chicken is well blended with the masala. I just followed Punjabi Chole Masala recipe and made few changes. Lets check the recipe,
Murgh Chole Masala
Chicken & Chickpeas Curry
Author: Preeti Tamilarasan
Recipe type: Main
- To Dry Roast & Grind :
- 3 dry red chilies
- 1 tsp poppy seeds
- 2 cloves
- 1 tsp black cumin seeds / caraway seeds (shah jeera)
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- ¼ cinnamon stick
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 star anise
- 2 green cardamom
- For Curry :
- 200 gms Chicken
- ½ cup white chickpeas (kabuli channa) – soaked overnight in water
- 1 large potato – diced into cubes
- ½ cup whisked fresh curd
- 1 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
- ½ cup finely chopped onion
- ½ cup finely chopped tomatoes
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- ½ tsp red chili powder
- 1 tsp pepper powder – optional
- 2 tsp kasoori methi (dry fenugreek leaves) – optional
- asofoetida – a pinch
- salt to taste
- 4 tbsp mustard oil (or any other vegetable oil of your choice)
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 2 tbsp chopped coriander
- 1 tea bag – optional
- Please check the instructions below.
How to prepare Murgh Chole Masala
To Prepare Fresh Chole Masala :
- Take a pan or kadai and dry roast red chilies, poppy seeds, shah jeera, coriander seeds, cloves, cinnamon, bay leaf, star anise and cardamom for a minute on low flame.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool. Grind in a mixer to coarse powder. Keep it aside.
To Prepare Curry :
- In a pressure cooker, put in washed channa along with little salt and tea bag. Add 1 cup water and close the lid. Pressure cook for 2 whistles on medium heat.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool. Once pressure settles, open the lid and drain the water and also discard the tea bag.
- Marinate chicken with turmeric powder and keep aside for 10 mins. Heat 4 tbsp mustard oil in pressure cooker.
- Temper mustard seeds and asofoetida. Add chopped onions and fry for a minute on low flame.
- Add chopped tomatoes and mash the pulp. Now, Add ginger-garlic paste and saute a while.
- Add marinated chicken and cook on low flame for 2 mins. Now, Add potato cubes and cooked channa. Stir well.
- Add whisked curd and cook for a min on low flame. Now, Add red chili powder and prepare chole masala. Mix well everything. Add 3 cup water and salt to taste.
- Close the lid and pressure cook on medium flame for 8-10 whistles. Remove from the heat and allow to cool. Garnish with chopped coriander and dry fenugreek leaves. Serve hot with rice or roti.
If you want curry to be more spicy, then add pepper powder at the time of serving and let it boil for a minute.