I’m not a big fan of soup. But i always try to include it in my diet once or twice a week. In my pantry, Podalangai is always used either in kootu or sambar. Today i tried to include this veggie in soup. I was not at all sure how it will turn. But to my surprise, it turned out well. I was fully satisfied with its outcome. You need to adjust pepper powder as the taste was little bland. Lets check this simple method to prepare Podalangai Soup,
Overall Time (Preparation & Cooking): 20-25 mins
- 1/2 cup Chopped Snake gourd (Podalangai)
- 2 tbsp Oats
- 1 medium sized onion
- 2-3 garlic flakes
- 1 tsp fennel seeds (saunf)
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder (jeera)
- 1 tsp pepper powder – according to your taste
- salt to taste
- 2 cloves
- 1/2 cinnamon stick
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tbsp chopped coriander
- Heat 2 tsp olive / canola oil in a pressure cooker. Temper cloves, cinnamon, fennel seeds and bay leaf.
- Add chopped onions and saute a while. Add garlic flakes and chopped snake gourd. Saute a while.
- Add cumin powder, chopped coriander and little salt. Add 3-4 cup water and stir well. Close the lid and pressure cook for 2-3 whistles.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool. Discard bay leaf. Filter the stock and keep it aside.
- Grind cooked vegetable in a mixer to smooth paste. Heat cooker along with the prepared stock.
- Add ground paste, oats, salt and pepper. Stir everything well and let it boil for few seconds. Remove from the heat and serve hot/cold.
- You can use any combination of vegetables to prepare this soup.
- The soup will be little bland so adjust pepper powder according to your taste.