|Panchratan / Panchratani Dal (Dal made with Five Lentils)|
Panchratan Dal is a combination of five lentils. Five Lentils are cooked together in a yogurt based curry. This curry is famous among north-Indians. As the name suggests, you can easily guess that this dal is loaded with lots of proteins and nutrition & is a best option for weight conscious people. Instead of oil, try tempering with ghee. I’m sure you will say good bye to Restaurant style Dal. I have adapted this recipe from Tarla Dalal’s cookbook.
Panchratan / Panchratani Dal
Author: Preeti Tamilarasan
Recipe type: Main
Cuisine: North Indian
- ¼ cup toor dal (tovaram paruppu / split pigeon peas)
- ¼ cup masoor dal (mysore paruppu / indian red lentil)
- ½ cup whisked curd / yogurt
- ¼ cup channa dal (kadala paruppu / split bengal gram)
- 1 cup vegetable stock – optional
- ¼ cup sabut moong dal (pasi / payatham paruppu (or) whole green gram)
- ¼ cup dhuli urad dal (ultham paruppu / skinned & split black gram)
- 2 medium sized onion – finely chopped
- 1 tomato – finely chopped
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- ½ tsp red chili powder
- ¼ tsp coriander powder
- ½ tsp cumin powder
- asofoetida – a pinch
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- ½ cinnamon
- 1 green cardamom
- 1 tsp fennel seeds (saunf)
- salt to taste
- 1 tbsp mint leaves – optional
- 1 tbsp chopped coriander
- Please follow the instructions below.
Five Lentils shown in the above image,
- Masoor Dal
- Dhuli Urad Dal
- Toor Dal
- Sabut Moong Dal
- Channa Dal
How to prepare Panchratan Dal
- Combine all the dals in a bowl and wash it. soak in water for 1 hour or overnight. I let it soak overnight. Pressure cook all the dals with 4 cup water for 15 mins on medium flame. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- Open the lid and mash the dal with ladle. Heat 2 tbsp oil in a pan or kadai. Temper mustard seeds, cinnamon, fennel seeds and cardamom. Now, add chopped onions and fry for a min on low-medium flame.
- Add chopped tomatoes and saute a while. Now, add whisked curd and mix well. Add turmeric powder, red chili powder, coriander powder and cumin powder. Stir well everything and let it cook for 2 mins on low flame. Close it with a lid.
- Add vegetable stock and asofeotida. Mix well everything. Now add cooked dal, 2-3 cup water and salt to taste. Let it boil for a minute on low-medium flame.
- Sprinkle mint leaves and chopped coriander. Cook it for 10 mins on low flame.
Serving Suggestions : Roti or any indian bread variety, Rice, Plain Pulao, Jeera Pulao, Ghee Pulao
- Adding vegetable stock is optional. Since i had leftover stock after preparing Kuska Biriyani, i used that stock here. Adjust the amount of water accordingly. The dal combination makes the curry more thick, so add little water if it becomes thick at the time of serving.
- You can replace curd / yogurt with 1-2 tbsp tamarind pulp.