Amla Jam, Everybody knows that Amla is a rich source of Vitamin C and has lot of health benefits if taken regularly. It is also good for Diabetics. It doesn’t need any introduction. We have been using this in either rice, pickle or juice preparations. Have you ever tried it to prepare Jam?? If not, then you are missing something. Initially i was bit hesitant to try it, thinking how the taste will be. Whether it will be sweet & sour or bitter?? But when combined with an equal amount of sugar, amla gives an extraordinary taste. I couldn’t resist myself by eating this jam as it is.
Yields 1 cup Jam
Author: Preeti Tamilarasan
Recipe type: Jam
- 20 Amla (Nellikai / Gooseberry)
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 2 cloves
- ¼ cinnamon stick
- ¼ cup water
- Please check the instructions below.
How to prepare Amla Jam
- Wash amla and pressure cook with enough water for exactly one whistle. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- Drain the water completely and allow amla to cool down a bit. Dont throw off the water used to cook amla. You can use it later to prepare rice or any curry.
- Cut amla into two halves. Remove the seed and cut the halves into flakes. Take a pan and switch the flame to medium-low.
- Add amla flakes, sugar, cloves, cinnamon and water to it. Once sugar is completely dissolved, switch the flame to low and stir it occasionally.
- After 10-15 mins, you can remove cloves and cinnamon & start to mash the amla pulp with the help of back side of a round ladle or paav bhaji masher can ease your work.
- Once you have completely mashed the pulp, add lemon juice & cook for another 5-10 mins till the mixture reaches gel like consistency. It should not be watery and also not too thick. Remove from the heat and allow to cool. Store in an airtight container and serve when needed.
- Dont get panic if jam turns hard after storage. You can reheat it with 1/4 cup water and use.
- You can also use frozen amla to prepare this jam or pickle. De-freeze them at room temp for one hour and use it.
- You can use this as spread for bread, roti and dosa. Or you can also serve this as it is like i did 🙂