|Potato Kurma for Idli & Dosa (Kongunadu Special) – Breakfast Recipes|
Potato Kurma / Urulai kezhangu Kurma is a best combo for idli and dosa. I learnt this recipe from my MIL and have tried this many times. She makes it little watery, but my husband prefers thick curry for idli or dosa. So i have added only 1 cup water. Those who want it little watery, you can adjust the amount of water according to your needs. My in-laws call this kurma as Urulai kezhangu Sambar and i’m not sure why they call it as sambar as it has got all the ingredients which we use to prepare Kurma.
I have not tried this curry with rice as we always finish it off soon with idli and nothing will be left over for lunch. Dont limit your options to idli or dosa alone. Try this curry with rice or even idiyappam. Lets move on to the recipe,
Serves 2 to 3
Preparation time : 10 mins
Cooking time : 30-35 mins
For Curry :
- 2 medium sized potatoes (boiled & diced into cubes)
- 1 big onion – finely chopped
- 2 green chilies – slit at the end
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tbsp coriander powder
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 10 curry leaves
- 2-3 tbsp gingelly oil / sesame oil (or any other vegetable oil)
To Grind : (Paste 1)
- 1 tbsp pottu kadalai (roasted gram)
- 1/4 cup chopped coconut
To Roast & Grind : (Paste 2)
- 10 small onions (pearl onions / sambar vengayam) – skin removed
- 1 medium sized tomato
- 4 dry red chilies
- 1 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
- 1 tbsp coriander powder
To Prepare Paste 1 & 2 :
- Grind roasted gram and chopped coconut in a mixer to smooth paste. Add little water while grinding. Keep it aside.
- Heat 1 tsp oil in a pan and roast small onions, tomato and red chilies for a minute on low flame. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- Grind in a mixer along with ginger-garlic paste and coriander powder to smooth paste. Add little water if needed. Keep it aside.
To Prepare Kurma :
- Heat 2-3 tbsp gingelly oil in a pan or kadai. Temper mustard seeds and curry leaves. Add chopped onions and green chilies. Fry for a minute on medium-low flame.
- Add Paste 1 and Paste 2. Saute a while. Add turmeric powder and 1/2 cup water. Cook it covered on low flame for 5-8 mins till raw masala smell goes.
- Add potatoes, coriander, salt and 1/2 cup or 1 cup water. Mix well everything and cook it covered for another 10 mins. Serve hot with idli or dosa.
- You can also add other vegetables like carrot, green peas and beans to this kurma.
- It is a best accompaniment for idli, dosa and chapati. You can also try this with rice.