|Tandoori Chicken (Indian Style Roasted Chicken)|
Tandoori chicken / Tandoori Murg is a popular Indian dish made by marinating chicken with yogurt and tandoori masala. They are then cooked in tandoor (clay oven) for long while which is the traditional method. But you need not worry if you dont have tandoor. We can roast it in convection oven, OTG, grill and also on stove top. Lets check the recipe,
a popular Indian dish made by marinating chicken with yogurt and tandoori masala.
Author: Preeti Tamilarasan
Recipe type: Side, Starter
- For First Marination :
- 3 or 4 whole Chicken leg pieces
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tsp red chili powder
- juice of 1 lemon
- salt to taste
- For Second Marination :
- 2 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
- ¾ cup curd / yogurt – whisked
- 2 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp pepper powder
- 4 tsp garam masala
- 1 tbsp kasoori methi (dry fenugreek leaves) – optional
- edible orange color – a pinch (optional)
- 2-3 tbsp vegetable oil / olive oil / canola oil
- Please check the instructions below.
How to prepare Tandoori Chicken at home
- Clean chicken and wash with water. Wipe the pieces using a clean kitchen towel. Make incisions on the chicken skin which helps to absorb masala.
- Combine turmeric powder, red chili powder, salt and lemon juice in a bowl. Make the paste and rub this over the chicken pieces. Keep it aside for 1 hour or just 30 mins.
- Prepare second marination by combining all the ingredients in a mixing bowl. Pour this over marinated chicken pieces and make sure chicken is well coated with the masala. Keep it in refrigerator for 4-5 hours or overnight. I let it overnight for better results.
- Take chicken from refrigerator and keep at room temp for 30 mins. Preheat oven to 180 degree C for 10 mins in Broil / grill mode.
- Either skewer the marinated chicken pieces or keep it over wire rack. Keep it on the top rack of oven and keep a baking tray below the rack to collect the drippings.
- Grill the chicken legs for first 10 mins and remove from the oven. turn over the pieces and baste with little oil / butter and grill again for 10-15 mins.
- Repeat it for another 20 mins till the masala gets cooked properly and chicken gets a charred look. Remove it from oven and allow to cool. Serve hot / cold with mint-coriander chutney.
- If you do not have much time to soak it overnight, then keep it in refrigerator for 3-4 hrs. Though soaking it overnight gives good results.
- Dont throw off the left over marination. Use it for next batch of chicken pieces or use it to prepare non-veg curries.
- If you do not have OTG / grill / tandoor, then you can also try it in Convection Oven.
- You can roast cloves, cinnamon, bay leaf, mace, black cumin, red chilies, peppercorn and cumin seeds for few seconds and grind it to fine powder. Use this homemade masala to marinate chicken pieces and proceed with remaining ingredients.