|Mustard Egg Curry – without Tomato & Coconut|
Mustard Egg Curry is curd based curry made from fresh ground mustard masala. The curry will be thick and rich in mustard flavor because of oil we have used. I have already shared two recipes (Mustard Chicken & Mustard Fish Curry) made with mustard paste. Lets check the recipe,
Overall time : 25-30 mins
For Curry :
- 2-3 Boiled Eggs – shell removed
- 1 cup whisked curd / yogurt
- 2 medium sized onion – finely chopped
- 1/2 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp red chili powder
- 1 tsp garam masala (or) coriander powder
- salt to taste
- asofoetida – a pinch
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tbsp chopped coriander
For Paste :
- 6-7 pearl onion / sambar vengayam
- 4 dry red chilies
- 1/2 tsp saunf (fennel seeds)
- 1/2 tsp yellow mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp black mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp fenugreek seeds
- Dry roast red chilies, fenugreek seeds, fennel seeds, yellow and black mustard seeds for few seconds. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- Grind it in mixer along with pearl onions to smooth paste. Add little water if needed while grinding. Remove and keep aside.
- Heat 3-4 tbsp mustard oil (or any vegetable oil) in a pan or kadhai. Temper mustard seeds. Add chopped onions and fry for a min on low flame.
- Add ginger-garlic paste and saute a while. Add ground paste and cook it covered on low flame for a min.
- Add whisked curd, turmeric powder, red chili powder, asofoetida and coriander powder. Mix well everything.
- Add boiled eggs and 1/4 cup water or more if needed. Add salt to taste & Cook it covered on low flame for 10-15 mins till curry thickens and oil separates. Garnish with chopped coriander and serve hot with rice.
- Since we have used mustard oil and seeds in this recipe, the curry will give rich flavor of mustard. You can replace mustard oil with any other vegetable oil of your choice.
- If you do not want to add curd, then replace it with thick coconut milk or you can also try adding tamarind water.
- You can also add 1 tbsp poppy seeds (khus-khus). You need to roast it and grind along with mustard seeds.