|Rajma Saagwala / Rajma Sirukeerai Poriyal|
Rajma Saagwala is a north indian style side-dish for roti or paranthas. Usually we prepare either kuzhambu or poriyal or kootu with siru keerai. But when i saw this recipe in a cookbook, i wanted to try it immediately. I made few changes and altered the recipe to my taste.Lets check the recipe,
Soaking time : Overnight
Preparation time : 10 mins
Cooking time : 20 mins
Recipe Source : “Dal Recipes” by Tarla Dalal
- 1/2 cup Rajma (Red Kidney Beans) – soaked overnight
- 1 SiruKeerai Bunch (Amaranth / Chawli) – finely chopped
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 2-3 green chilies (or) dry red chilies
- 1 tsp ginger-garlic paste
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp garam masala – optional
- asofoetida – a pinch
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- Soak rajma beans overnight in water. Wash and drain the water completely. Pressure cook rajma beans and chopped siru keerai along with 2 and 1/2 cup water for 4-5 whistles.
- Remove from the heat and once pressure settles, mash the mixture. Heat 1 or 2 tsp oil in a pan or kadhai.
- Temper mustard seeds & dry red chilies. Add finely chopped onions and fry for a min on low flame.
- Add ginger-garlic paste and saute a while. Add mashed rajma & siru keerai mixture. Stir well.
- Add turmeric powder, asofoetida, cumin powder and salt to taste. Cook it covered on low flame for 10 mins.
- Sprinkle garam masala and cook it for another 5 mins. Remove from the heat and serve with roti or steamed rice.
- You can also add 1/4 cup cream, but it is optional.
- Since we are adding 2 and 1/2 cup water to cook rajma beans and siru keerai, it wont be necessary to add water while cooking curry. I made it little dry, but if you want the curry to be watery then add 3/4 cup water and cook it.