|Chettinadu Nandu Rasam / Spicy Crab Legs Soup|
Nandu / Crab Rasam is very healthy and also good enough to boost your immunity. Crabs are considered to be high in protein and low in fat & calories. This rasam is a best way to beat off cold and flu. I learnt this recipe from my grandma and i have shared the same set of ingredients for Kozhi / Chicken Rasam too. She makes this rasam with full crab, but i have used crab legs alone to prepare this as i’m going to use central part of crab meat to prepare something else which i’ll share soon. For now, lets check the recipe of crab legs soup,
Chettinadu Nandu Rasam | Spicy Crab Legs Soup
Author: Preeti Tamilarasan
Recipe type: Soup
Cuisine: Chettinadu, South Indian
- For Rasam :
- 8 medium sized Crabs / Nandu (only their legs)
- 10-12 pearl onions (sambar vengayam) – chopped
- 2 small tomatoes – finely chopped
- 1 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- salt to taste
- 1 tbsp gingelly oil (sesame seeds oil / nalla ennai)
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 2 cloves
- 1 tbsp fennel seeds (saunf)
- ½ cinnamon stick
- 10 curry leaves
- 1 tbsp chopped coriander
- To Grind :
- 4 dry red chilies
- 4-5 black peppercorns (or) 1 tsp pepper powder
- ½ tsp cumin seeds (or) cumin powder
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- 5 pearl onions / sambar vengayam – chopped
- Please follow the instructions below.
How to prepare Chettinadu style Crab Rasam
- Dry roast red chilies, peppercorns, cumin seeds and coriander seeds for a min on low flame. Remove from the heat and allow to cool. Grind it in a mixer to coarse powder. Add chopped pearl onions and grind again without adding water. Keep it aside.
- Marinate leg pieces with turmeric powder for 20 mins. Break the leg pieces using a pestle or cleaned stone and keep aside. Heat oil in a pressure cooker. Fry cloves and cinnamon. Add chopped onions and saute a while.
- Now, Add chopped tomatoes and ginger-garlic paste. Mash the pulp. Add leg pieces, ground masala paste and salt to taste. Mix well everything and add 5-6 cup water. Close the lid and pressure cook for 8-9 whistles. Remove from the heat.
- Once pressure settles, stir well rasam. Heat 1 or 2 tsp oil in a pan or kadhai. Temper fennel seeds and curry leaves. Add rasam to it and allow to boil. Garnish with chopped coriander and serve hot. You can sprinkle 1 tsp lemon juice at the time of serving.
- We are breaking the leg pieces of crabs so that the crab meat combines well with the masala.
- You can store this rasam in refrigerator for 2-3 days. Before serving, reheat it and Enjoy 🙂