Health Mix Powder / Multi-Grain Powder / Sattu Maavu, a healthy and nutritious powder which can be given to all age group people. I dont think you can give this to a new born, but yes it can be given to kids aged above 1 year. It was my long time wish to prepare Sattu Maavu at home as it is one of my fav Morning Drink.
Recently i bought 2-3 tamil cookbooks on Kongu Style cooking from Book Fair, and i was all excited when i saw this recipe in one of those books. I have altered the ingredients used in original recipe and added one or two extra. This Powder can be prepared with any combination of below mentioned ingredients. Until yesterday, i made health mix drink with Store-bought Powder but from now on i’m going to enjoy this aromatic drink with homemade flour. I have also shared Peanut Ladoo recipe made with health mix powder.
NOTE : We prepare this health mix powder at home and sell it. If anyone interested to buy, please email us or comment here.
Lets move on to the recipe,
Homemade Health Mix Powder & Porridge | Sattu Maavu Kanji
Author: Preeti Tamilarasan
Recipe type: Basics
Cuisine: south indian
Serves: ½ kg flour
- ½ cup Ragi (Finger Millet)
- ½ cup Bajra (Kambu / Pearl Millet)
- ¼ cup Barley (Valkothumai)
- 2 tbsp Wheat Berries (or) Broken Wheat
- 2 tbsp Oats
- ¼ cup Green Gram (Payatham Paruppu / Moong Dal)
- 2 tbsp Brown Rice (or) Parboiled Rice
- 2 tbsp Sago (Javvarisi / Sabu dhana)
- ½ cup Corn
- 2 tbsp Pottu kadalai (Chutney Gram / Roasted Gram)
- 2 tbsp Almonds
- 4-5 Green Cardamom
- 2 tbsp Cashews
- 2 tbsp Peanuts
- 1inch Sukku / Dry Ginger
- Sugar & Salt – according to your need
- Please check the instructions below.
How to prepare Sattu Maavu Kanji
- Clean Ragi, Bajra, Wheat Berries and Barley from any dust or stone. Dry roast all the ingredients separately except sugar and salt.
- Each ingredient takes its own time to roast. Make sure to not burn. Roast it on low flame till nice aroma comes. The overall time for roasting was 10-15 mins. Remove from the heat and allow to cool completely.
- Combine all the ingredients including sugar and salt in a mixing bowl. Once it is completely cool, grind it in a mixie till smooth powder. You can use mixie for small quantity, but for large quantity it would be better to grind in a mill.
- Allow the powder to cool down completely and then store it in an airtight container.
Sattu Maavu Kanji / Porridge :
Overall time : 10-15 mins
- 2 tbsp Sattu Maavu / Health Mix Powder
- 3 cup Water
- 1/2 cup Boiled Milk – optional
- Sugar or Salt – according to your need
- Mix health mix powder with 1/4 cup water and dissolve it completely. Keep it aside.
- Heat remaining water in a pan and once it starts boiling, add dissolved powder to it. Stir well on low heat.
- Add sugar or salt and mix well everything. Let it boil for 2 mins. Add milk and cook again for 2 mins. Remove from the heat and serve hot / cold.