|Mullangi Thuvayal / Radish Chutney – Simple Lunch Recipes|
Mullangi Thuvayal / Thogayal Recipe, learn how to prepare a simple side-dish variety for rice or idli/dosa using mullangi / radish. Last week when we went to Vanagaram (wholesale fish market), we saw this bundle of radish with greens sold for 10 Rupees. I immediately picked up 2-3 bundles of radish. I always try to make full usage of seasonal fruits/vegetables.
With these much radishes, i either make sambar, stuffed paratha or pachadi / raita. This time for a change i prepared thuvayal and had it for 3 days with steamed rice. I have shared more than 10 varieties of Thuvayal Varieties based on different vegetables & also dont forget to check out recipes based on Radish.
Preparation time : 10 mins
Cooking time : 10 mins
- 2 Radish – peeled and chopped
- 5-6 pearl onions / sambar vengayam – chopped
- 3-4 dry red chilies
- 2 garlic flakes
- small lemon sized tamarind ball
- 1/4 cup chopped coconut
- asofoetida – a pinch
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp urad dal (ultham paruppu / black gram)
- 1 tsp channa dal (kadala paruppu / bengal gram)
- 5-6 curry leaves
How to prepare Mullangi Thuvayal
- Heat 1 tsp oil in a pan or kadhai. Temper mustard seeds and curry leaves. Add dry red chilies, urad dal and channa dal. Saute a while.
- Add pearl onions and garlic flakes. Fry for few seconds. Add chopped coconut and tamarind ball. Saute a while.
- Add chopped radish and cook till it turns golden brown. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- Grind it in mixer without adding water to smooth paste. Add salt to it and mix well. Heat 1 tsp oil in the same pan and temper mustard seeds and curry leaves. Add asofeotida and add this tempering to radish thuvayal / chutney. Mix everything well and serve this with rice, idli/dosa.
- Cut radish into thin slices which will reduce cooking time.
- If you dont add water, it can come for 2-3 days if refrigerated. If you want to serve it with idli / dosa, then add little water and mix well.
- Adding coconut is optional.