|Uppu Sambar / Payatham Paruppu Sambar – Simple Lunch Recipes|
Uppu Sambar / Payatham Paruppu Sambar, a south-indian style dal recipe which is not only healthy but also very light & goes very well with rice. I learnt this recipe from my MIL and tried it ‘n’ number of times. This sambar is not spicy and filled with the flavor of payatham paruppu. A slight touch of turmeric powder and salt alone makes it very delicious.
If you are looking for recipes using Payatham Paruppu / Green Gram, then dont forget to check out Panchratani Dal, Sago Green Gram Khichdi, Payatham Paruppu Kozhukattai, Rajasthani Dal Baati, Zucchini Moon Dal & Payatham Paruppu Urundai.
Preparation time : 15 mins
Cooking time : 25 mins
- 1 cup sabut moong dal (pasi / payatham paruppu (or) whole green gram)
- 5-6 pearl onions – chopped
- 3 garlic flakes
- 3 dry red chilies
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- asofoetida – a pinch
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 3-4 cup water
- Dry roast green gram till it turns golden brown and nice aroma comes. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- Grind it in a mixer for single pulse or break the roasted gram using mortal and pestle. It should not be very fine but coarse. Keep it aside.
- Cook ground green gram with 3-4 cup water for 10-15 mins. Keep it aside. Heat 1 or 2 tsp oil in a pan or kadhai. Temper mustard seeds, red chilies and curry leaves.
- Add chopped onions and garlic flakes. Fry for a min on low flame. Add cooked dal along with water. Stir well.
- Add turmeric powder, asofoetida and salt to taste. Mix well everything and cook it for another 5-8 mins. Serve hot with rice.
- I have made thick dal and used pressure cooker to cook sambar. If you want the sambar to be watery, then try the above mentioned method.
- You can roast and ground whole gram in a large quantity and store it for later use.