|Cabbage Brown Rice / Pilaf – Easy Lunch Box Recipes|
Cabbage Brown Rice / Pulao, a healthy one-pot meal which can be prepared during weekends or for lunch box. The perfectly cooked brown rice is well combined with Cabbage Masala. Try adding more vegetables along with cabbage to make it more filling.
As my husband doesn’t like Brown Rice and always more comfortable with Par-boiled Rice, i look for different variations to make this brown rice interesting and also filling. My favorite curry which goes very well Brown rice is Puli kuzhambu / Kara Kuzhambu. I have also shared Chicken Biriyani, Egg Biriyani & Mutton Biriyani with Brown Basmati Rice. And for dessert, try this Brown rice Paniyaram.
Serves 1 or 2
Preparation time : 5 mins
Cooking time : 30-35 mins
- 1 cup Cabbage – finely chopped
- 3/4 cup Brown Rice – washed & soaked overnight in water
- 1 onion – finely chopped
- 2 green chilies – slit at the end
- 1/2 tsp ginger-garlic paste
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1/2 tsp pepper powder
- 1 tsp lemon juice – optional
- salt to taste
- 2 cloves
- 1/2 cinnamon stick
- 10 curry leaves
- 1 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
- Wash and soak brown rice overnight in water. Next day, drain the water completely. Take a pressure cooker and pour 1 and 1/2 cup water. Add brown rice and little salt. Close the lid and pressure cook at high flame for 1 whistle. Switch to low flame and cook for 15 mins. Remove from the heat and let it cool. Spread rice on a plate and keep it aside.
- Heat 1 tsp oil in a pan or kadhai. Add cloves and cinnamon. Add chopped onions and green chilies. Fry for a min on low flame.
- Add ginger-garlic paste and sauté a while. Add chopped cabbage and sauté a while.
- Add turmeric powder, garam masala and salt to taste. Cook it covered on low-medium flame for 5 mins.
- Sprinkle pepper powder and cook it covered for another 2 mins. Add cooked brown rice and stir well. Make sure brown rice is well coated with cabbage masala. Cook it covered on low flame for 2 mins.
- Sprinkle lemon juice and garnish with chopped coriander. Serve hot with any veg/non-veg gravy.
- I have referred this website to get the recipe for perfectly cooked brown rice and tried it many times.
- Similarly, you can try this way of preparation for other vegetables like carrot, beans, cauliflower, green peas, potato, capsicum etc..