|Chicken & Oats Porridge / Gruel|
Oats Chicken Porridge / Kozhi Kanji / Gruel, a less spicy and savory porridge made from oats, chicken and garam masala. I have also added barley and broken wheat for additional taste. The overall procedure is very simple. You can either skip rice for lunch and have this porridge. Or you can serve it as evening snacks. This porridge is healthy and also very filling.
Few months back i had shared Chicken Haleem recipe which requires lot of ingredients. This version is simple and more healthy. Lets check the recipe,
Preparation time : 10-15 mins
Cooking time : 30 mins
For Porridge :
- 150 gms Chicken - B/L
- 1/4 cup mint leaves
- 1/4 cup chopped coriander leaves
- 1/2 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp pepper powder
- salt to taste
- 5 cup water
- 2 tsp oil
To Grind :
- 1/2 cup Oats
- 1/4 cup Broken Wheat / Samba Rava / Daliya
- 1/4 cup Barley
- 1/2 cinnamon stick
- 2-3 cloves
- 2 green cardamom
- Marinate chicken with turmeric powder and keep aside for 10 mins. Wash chicken and pressure cook with 2 cup water for 2 whistles. Remove form the heat and allow to cool.
- Remove chicken pieces and keep aside. Grind Oats, barley, samba rava, cloves, cinnamon and cardamom in a mixer to coarse powder.
- Mix this coarse powder with the water we used to cook chicken. Break lumps any formed. Keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker. Add ginger-garlic paste and saute a while. Add mint leaves and coriander leaves.
- Saute a while. Add cooked chicken and stir well. Add garam masala and pepper powder. Stir well and add ground powder mixed water. Mix well.
- Add 3 cup water and salt to taste. Add more water if needed and close the lid. Pressure cook for 3-4 whistles on low-medium flame. Remove from the heat and allow to cool. Add more pepper if needed and mix well. Serve it.
- You can also sprinkle 1 tsp lemon juice at the time of serving.
- If the porridge becomes thick, you can add 1 cup water and allow to boil.
- For Vegetarian version, you can add vegetables like carrot, beans, green peas and cauliflower. You need not pressure cook everything together.