|Kuluku Roti / Ragi & Jaggery Pudding - KonguNadu Special|
Kuluku Roti / Ragi & Jaggery Pudding, an authentic sweet dish which requires Ragi flour, Jaggery, Peanuts & Water. The procedure is very simple. Ragi flour is kneaded to prepare Roti / Flat Bread and then we need to break it into bit size pieces. Sticky Jaggery Syrup is prepared and roti pieces are soaked in it. The result will be a sticky mixture of ragi roti with the flavor of ground peanuts which will remind you of Panchamirtham.
I learnt this recipe from my grandma. She used to prepare this whenever we visited her place. She is a granny of 11 grandchildrens and most of us are fond of this recipe. There are many other recipes which will be very special to everyone of us but we forgot its taste as time flew.
I wanted to share this recipe on a special occasion but due to frequent health issues, i couldn't concentrate much on sweet recipes. You might be knowing that we a small group of friends post virtual treat on everyones birthday. This time it was one of my close friend Priya's Birthday. I came to know about her through this blogging world. I met her only once but we have talked for hours n hours over phone. I'm not so good in expressing my feelings through words or writing Priya. I hope you can understand how special you are to me. Priya Ranjit doesn't need any introduction as she is very friendly with everyone and also a promising blogger.
Our friends decided to prepare something innovative with her fav color pink as theme. But due to some health issues i couldn't prepare it on time. Instead i called my mom to home and with her help, prepared this Sweet dish as a virtual birthday treat. I hope you like it Priya and would like to wish that all your dreams gets fulfilled...
If you are looking for more Ragi recipes, then do check all the traditional recipes which i have shared earlier. Lets move on to the recipe,
Preparation time : 10-15 mins
Cooking time : 30 mins
Soaking time : 6 hrs or overnight
- 2 cup Ragi Flour (Finger Millet Flour)
- 1/4 cup Roasted & Ground Peanuts
- 1 tsp cardamom powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
To Prepare Syrup (Paagu) :
- 3-4 cup Grated Jaggery
- 2 cup water
- Combine ragi and salt in a mixing bowl. Knead to smooth dough adding enough water. Close it and keep aside for 10 mins.
- Heat tava or frying pan on low flame. Take the dough and divide into 2-3 balls. Place a ball on tava and with the help of your fingers flatten the ball to form a thick disc.
- Apply oil all over the sides and Cook till brown spots appear both the sides. The roti should be 3/4th cooked (may take 5 mins). Remove from the heat and proceed the same with other balls.
- Break roti into small pieces and keep aside. Heat jaggery and water in a pan or kadhai.
- Once jaggery is completely dissolved, strain it and reheat again on low-medium flame. Once it starts turning sticky add roti pieces and mix well everything.
- Add cardamom powder and peanut powder to it. Stir well and remove from the heat. Let it soak for 5-6 hrs or overnight. You can store it at room temp for 2 days and in refrigerator for a week.
- Dont fry roti for too long. It may turn hard after soaking in jaggery syrup.
- If all the syrup is absorbed by roti pieces, then you can add 1/2 cup water to the mixture and reheat it again. With the above measurements, you will get correct amount of syrup to soak roti pieces overnight.