|Mullangi Keerai Kootu / Radish Greens Poriyal – Simple Lunch Recipes|
Mullangi Keerai Kootu / Radish Greens Poriyal, a simple yet healthy south-indian style kootu preparation made from toor dal and radish greens. Radish Greens are rich in Iron, Calcium and Vitamin C. It can be used to prepare Salad, Soup / Rasam, Stir-Fry, Parantha, Curry and also Pakoda. I prepared this kootu along with Mullangi Thogaiyal & served with steamed rice. You can also check Egg & Radish Leaves Stir-Fry and Mashed Radish & Greens. Lets move on to the recipe,
Overall time (Preparation & Cooking time) : 25-30 mins
- 1 bunch Radish leaves / Mullangi Keerai – chopped
- 3/4 cup Toor Dal (Split Pigeon Peas / Tuvaram Paruppu)
- 1 medium sized onion – chopped
- 1 medium sized tomato – chopped
- 2 garlic flakes
- 2-3 dry red chilies
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/4 tsp cumin powder
- asofoetida – a pinch
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 5-6 curry leaves
- 1 tsp oil
- 2 cup water
- Wash and chop Radish Greens. Pressure cook radish greens, toor dal, onion, tomato and garlic with 2 cup water for 3-4 whistles.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool. Mash the dal mixture. Keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a pan or kadhai. Temper mustard seeds, broken red chilies and curry leaves.
- Add mashed dal and greens mixture. Stir well. Add turmeric powder, cumin powder, asofoetida and salt to taste. Mix well everything and add water if needed.
- Cook it for 2 mins on low-medium flame and remove from the heat. Serve with sambar rice or any rice variety.
- You can try the same kootu with Split Green Gram (Siru Paruppu) or Bengal Gram (Kadala Paruppu).