|Naatu Kozhi Kuzhambu / Country Chicken Curry - with Coconut|
Naatu Kozhi Kuzhambu, a yummy and spicy chicken curry prepared from fresh ground masala. Pearl onions (Sambar Vengayam), red chilies and coriander powder are fried and blended together. We are using this as base masala along with coconut paste. You can imagine how the curry might have turned out with all these combinations of masala. Instead of coconut, you can try it with cashew paste or poppy seeds but the taste will surely differ. Lets check the recipe,
Preparation time : 30 mins
Cooking time : 30 mins
- 500 gms Naatu Kozhi / Country Chicken (you can also try with Broiler Chicken)
- 1 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp red chili powder
- 1/2 tsp coriander powder
- 1/4 tsp cumin powder
- 1/2 cup coconut paste
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 2 cloves
- 1/2 cinnamon
- 4-5 tbsp gingelly oil / sesame seeds oil
- 8-10 curry leaves
To Fry & Grind :
- 5-6 dry red chilies
- 30-40 pearl onions / sambar vengayam
- 1 tbsp coriander powder
- Heat 1 or 2 tsp oil in a pan or kadhai. Add broken red chilies and chopped onions. Fry for a min on low flame.
- Add coriander powder and saute a while. Remove form the heat and allow to cool. Grind it in a mixer to smooth paste and add water if needed. Keep it aside.
- Marinate chicken with turmeric powder and keep aside for 20-30 mins. Wash chicken again. Pressure cook chicken with 1/2 cup water for 4-5 whistles. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- Heat oil in a pan or kadhai. Temper mustard seeds and curry leaves. Add ground onion paste and fry for a min till oil separates.
- Add ginger-garlic paste and coconut paste. Cook for a min on low flame. Add red chili powder, coriander powder and cumin powder. Mix well everything and allow to cook for a min.
- Add cooked chicken along with water. Stir well everything and add salt to taste. Add 1 cup water or more if needed. Transfer this to pressure cooker and cook for 3-4 whistles.
- If you do not want to cook it in pressure cooker, then let it cook in the same pan for another 15-20 mins on low flame. Garnish with chopped coriander and serve hot with rice or idli / dosa.
- Since we have used Naattu Kozhi, it will take more time to cook when compared to Broiler Chicken. If you are using broiler chicken, then no need to cook chicken separately like said above. You can pressure cook everything together for 3-4 whistles.
- I have used young chick for this recipe. If you are using tender chicken then increase the cooking time accordingly.
- I have not used tomato here. You can add 1/2 cup chopped tomatoes.
- If you do not get pearl onions, then replace it with 2-3 big sized onions. But pearl onions always give a different taste to the curry.
- We are adding gingelly oil to reduce the heat since country chicken increases heat inside our body. If you want, you can replace it with olive oil or any other vegetable oil.