|Thoothuvalai Keerai Thuvaiyal – Herbal Green Leaf Recipes|
Thoothuvalai / Thoodhuvalai Keerai, a herbal green which is mainly used to cure cold, cough and asthma. Its plant is full of thorns similar to rose plant. Since its thorns are toxic, it would be better to remove the stem part while cleaning. Leaves contain very small sized thorns. But if it has big thorns, then better remove it.
Whenever you get bunches of this keerai, better to dry those leaves and grind to prepare podi as we do in case of Karuvepillai Podi. This way you can use it for longer time. This keerai along with many other herbal greens are not easily available, especially at big stores. Last week, during my regular visit to mom’s place, i found these greens being sold by an old lady near Avadi Market. As it was new to me, i was very excited to try it and got the recipe from that lady. Later i confirmed the recipe from my grandma too. Village people either prepare Kashayam / Rasam and consume it. Or they prepare Thuvaiyal which goes very well with rice. Lets check the recipe,
Preparation time : 20 mins
Cooking time : 10 mins
- 1 Bunch Thoothuvalai Keerai (Solanum trilobatum leaves)
- 1 medium sized onion – chopped
- 2-3 garlic flakes
- small lemon sized tamarind ball – seeds removed
- 1/4 cup chopped coconut
- 2-3 dry red chilies
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp urad dal (ultham paruppu / black gram)
- 1 tsp channa dal (kadala paruppu / bengal gram)
- 5-6 curry leaves
- 1 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
- Thoothuvalai Keerai / Trilobatum Leaves will be full of small thorns. So handle it carefully. Cut off the stem part which contains big thorns. We need only leaves. Wash the leaves under running tap water.
To Prepare Thogaiyal :
- Heat 1 or 2 tsp oil in a pan or kadhai. Temper mustard seeds, curry leaves and broken red chilies.
- Add urad dal and channa dal. Saute a while. Add chopped onions and garlic flakes. Saute everything for a min on low-medium flame.
- Add chopped coconut and tamarind ball. Cook for a min on low flame. Add washed keerai and chopped coriander leaves. Cook till the moisture is absorbed. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- Grind in a mixer adding 1 or 2 tsp water. Add salt and mix well. Serve with idli, dosa or rice.
- Since these leaves gives sour taste, adjust the amount of tamarind and coconut accordingly.
- You can clean the leaves and keep closed in refrigerator for 2 days.
- You can use this thogaiyal as a spread for sandwiches, chapati / roti and dosa.