Uppu Kozhi Varuval / Naatu Kozhi Varuval / Simple Chicken Fry, a very simple and easy Village Style preparation which requires only salt, turmeric powder and red chilies to do the magic. It is basically a dry preparation and the chicken gets cooked with the moisture it leaves. Since we are using Naatu Kozhi (country chicken) in this recipe, it takes more time to cook, whereas it is not the same case with Broiler Chicken which takes less time to cook.
This kind of simple fry is not over loaded with any masala and also it is rich in flavor. Some of the Dry Chicken Recipes that i had shared earlier are Masala Kozhi Varuval, Karuvepillai Kozhi Varuval, Kozhi Puli Varuval, Simple Chicken Fry with Coconut & Nellikai Urugai Kozhi Varuval. Lets check the recipe,
- 300 gms Naattu Kozhi (Country Chicken)
- ½ cup pearl onions / sambar vengayam – chopped
- 5-6 dry red chilies – according to your need
- 1 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 6-8 curry leaves
- 4-5 tbsp gingelly oil / sesame seeds oil
- Please check the instructions below.
How to prepare Uppu Kozhi Varuval
- Clean chicken well and marinate with turmeric powder. Keep it aside for 30 mins and wash it again. Keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a pan or kadhai. Temper mustard seeds and curry leaves. Add onions and fry for a min on low flame.
- Add ginger-garlic paste and saute a while. Add washed chicken and salt to taste. Stir well and cook it covered on low flame for 25-30 mins.
- Stir it occasionally and add 1 tbsp oil in-between if needed. Garnish with chopped coriander and serve with rice or biriyani or pulao or chapati.
- You can also try this simple fry recipe with Broiler chicken.
- You can try adding coconut oil or any vegetable oil instead of gingelly oil.
- If you are using tender Naatu Kozhi, then pressure cook chicken with 1/2 cup water for 5-6 whistles and then proceed with the above method. It will save cooking time. I have used young chick in this recipe.