|Baked Vallarai Keerai Masala Vadai / Brahmi Masala Vada|
Today i’m sharing an another interesting and healthy recipe prepared from Vallarai Keerai / Brahmi Leaves. I was looking for some baked indian snacks when i got this idea of baked keerai vadai. I was not sure about the correct oven temp and settings. I referred Priya akka’s recipe for the oven temperature and also referred a tamil cookbook for the recipe. I have modified most of the ingredients. I made 4 Baked Masala Vadai & 3 Deep Fried Vadai from the Batter. Do try this healthy version of south-India’s famous Snack. Lets check the recipe,
Makes 6-7 Vadai
Preparation time : 1 Hour
Baking time : 25-30 mins
- 1 cup finely chopped Vallarai Keerai (Brahmi / Indian Pennywort)
- 3/4 cup Channa Dal (Bengal Gram / Kadalai Paruppu) – soaked in water for 1 hour
- 2 tbsp Raw Rice – soaked in water along with Channa Dal (or) 2 tbsp Rice Flour
- 1 Onion – finely chopped
- 1 or 2 Green Chilies – finely chopped
- 1 tbsp grated ginger
- 2-3 garlic flakes
- 1/4 cup chopped mint leaves
- 1/4 cup chopped curry leaves
- 1 tbsp fennel seeds (saunf)
- salt to taste
- Wash and soak channa dal, raw rice for 1 hour. After an hour, drain the water completely. Grind channa dal, raw rice, chopped keerai, ginger, garlic and fennel seeds in a mixer to coarse paste. Do not add water.
- Combine dal paste, chopped onions, chilies, chopped mint, curry leaves and salt in a mixing bowl. Mix well everything and keep aside for 10 mins.
For Deep Frying :
- Heat oil in a heavy bottomed kadai or pan. Wet your palm and make small ball of the batter. Flatten it using fingers.
- Drop in oil and fry till it turns golden brown and crispy. Drain the excess oil using kitchen paper.
For Baking :
- Preheat Oven to 220 degree C for 10 mins. Take the baking sheet and place parchment paper. Grease it with oil. Make small balls from the vadai batter. Flatten those balls to form a thin disc. Make sure it is not too thick otherwise they dont get cooked inside. Brush with little oil and keep inside oven.
- Bake at 220 degree C for 10 mins. Take out from oven flip over the sides. Brush with little oil again. Bake for another 10-15 mins. Remove from the oven and serve hot with Coconut Chutney.
- You can try the same with different combinations of Keerai. In the original recipe, they have also added Thoothuvalai Keerai.
- Try adding pepper powder or dry red chilies if you want to avoid green chilies.