|Brahmi Leaves / Vallarai Keerai Sambar – Herbal Green Leaf Recipes|
Vallarai Keerai Sambar, an another variety of south-Indian style curry which is healthy and also very filling. Just like other sambar varieties, mashed toor dal is cooked with Vallarai Keerai. Some like to add grated coconut, but i’m not comfortable with that.
The most important seasoning ingredient of any south-Indian style veg curries is Vadagam which gives a nice aroma. You will get it in any local grocery stores. I have already shared “Vallarai Keerai kootu” recipe, and will try to share many other varieties with this Keerai. Lets move on to today’s recipe,
Serves 2 or 3
Preparation time : 30 mins
Cooking time : 30-35 mins
- 1 cup chopped Vallarai Keerai (Indian pennywort / Brahmi Leaves)
- 1/4 cup toor dal (tuvram parappu / split pigeon peas)
- lemon sized tamarind ball – soaked in 1 cup water for 30 mins
- 1 medium sized onion – finely chopped
- 1 tomato – chopped
- 2 garlic flakes
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 2-3 tsp Sambar Powder
- asofoetida – a pinch
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 10 curry leaves
- 2 tbsp Vadagam (seasoning ingredient) – optional
- 1 tsp oil
- Squeeze tamarind pulp and strain the water. Keep it aside. Pressure cook Dal, tomato, garlic flakes with 1 and 1/2 cup water for 2-3 whistles.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool. Mash dal and keep it aside. Heat 1 tsp oil in a pan or kadhai. Temper mustard seeds, curry leaves and vadagam.
- Add chopped onions and fry for a min on low flame. Add chopped keerai and sauté a while. Sprinkle turmeric powder and let it cook for 2 mins on low-medium flame.
- Add tamarind water and cook it covered for 5 mins. Add sambar powder, asofoetida and 1 or 2 cup water. Stir well everything and cook it covered on low flame for 10 mins.
- Add mashed dal mixture and salt to taste. Cook it covered for another 10 mins. Serve hot with rice, idli / dosa.
- You can try the same method for other varieties of keerai like mullangi keerai, siru keerai, arai keerai, vendhayam keerai and many more..
- The tamarind which i have used here was very tangy. In such cases, correct the measurement of tamarind accordingly.
Other Vallarai Keerai recipes shared in my space,
- Baked Vallarai Keerai Vadai
- Vallarai Keerai Podi
- Vallarai Keerai Paruppu Kootu
- Vallarai Keerai Cutlet