|Pavakkai Verkadalai Kuzhambu / Puli Kuzhambu (Bitter Gourd & Peanut Curry)|
Today i’m sharing my MIL’s recipe which is spicy, tangy and bitter in taste. During my last visit to in-laws place, i got this recipe from her when i asked for the recipes with Peanut Podi. Among other recipes, this one caught my attention. I have tried regular Pavakkai Puli Kuzhambu, but not with Podi added.
The way she prepares this curry is different than mine. She cooks chopped bitter melon in tamarind water for sometime and then adds ground masala of onion and tomato. I shall try her version next time and update the steps in this post itself. Lets check the recipe,
Preparation time : 30 mins
Cooking time : 25-30 mins
- 1/2 cup chopped bitter gourd (pavakkai / karela)
- lemon sized tamarind ball – soaked in 1 cup water for 30 mins
- 1 medium sized onion – finely chopped
- 1 medium sized tomato – finely chopped
- 1/2 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 3 tsp Sambar powder
- 1/2 tsp coriander powder
- 2 tbsp Peanut Podi / Verkadalai Podi
- 1 tbsp onion vadagam – optional
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp fennel seeds
- 10 curry leaves
- 1 tbsp chopped coriander
- 4 or 5 tbsp gingelly oil / sesame seeds oil
- Squeeze tamarind pulp and strain the water. Add sambar powder and turmeric powder to tamarind water. Keep it aside. Heat 3 tbsp oil in a pan or kadhai. Temper mustard seeds and curry leaves.
- Add fennel seeds and onion vadagam. Saute a while. Add chopped onions and fry for a min on low flame.
- Add chopped tomatoes and mash the pulp. Add ginger-garlic paste and saute a while.
- Add chopped bitter gourd and stir well. Add tamarind water and coriander powder. Mix well.
- Add salt to taste and cook it covered on low-medium flame for 5 mins. Add 1 cup water and cook it covered for another 5 mins. Add 1 tbsp oil and peanut podi.
- Cook it covered for 8-10 mins. Garnish with chopped coriander and serve hot with rice or idli.
- You can also try this curry with Midhi Pavakkai (Small Bitter Melon), Lady finger, Brinjal & Drumstick.
- You can also add little jaggery to this curry.
- Adding Vadagam (seasoning ingredient) is optional. But it gives nice aroma if added.