Saamai Pulao / Little Millet Pulao, Today i’m sharing an easy and simple pulao preparation which requires less ingredients and can be prepared in jiffy. Saamai / Samai / Little Millet is an another millet variety which is gluten-free, rich in vitamins, proteins and fiber.
If you want to skip rice, then millets would be a better option. They are very filling and a great source of energy. Easy to digest & helps to control cholesterol and blood sugar. There are numerous benefits of Millets and the list is never ending…
Saamai Pulao | Little Millet Pulao
Author: Preeti Tamilarasan
Recipe type: Main
Cuisine: south indian
- ½ cup Saamai / Little Millet – washed & soaked in water for 20 mins
- 1 medium sized onion – finely chopped
- 2-3 green chilies – slit at the end
- ½ tbsp ginger-garlic paste
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp garam masala
- salt to taste
- 2 cloves
- ¼ cinnamon stick
- 1 bay leaf
- ¾ cup water
- 1 tsp oil
- Please check the instructions below.
How to prepare Samai Pulao
- Heat 1 tsp oil in a pressure cooker. Add cloves, cinnamon and bay leaf. Saute a while.
- Now, add chopped onions and green chilies. Fry for a min on low flame. Add ginger-garlic paste and sauté a while.
- Now, add turmeric powder, garam masala and stir well. Add saamai (drain the water) and salt to taste.
- Stir well and add 3/4th cup water. Close the lid and cook for 1 whistle on low-medium flame.
- Remove from the heat and let the pressure settle down. Serve this pulao with any spicy veg / non-veg gravy.
- You can try adding vegetables like green peas, carrot, beans, potato, cauliflower, broccoli and many more. To add vegetables, stir them in little oil and add to cooked saamai pulao. Mix well everything and serve. This way vegetables remains crunchy.