Samai Thayir Sadam / Little Millet Curd Rice, a perfect lunch option to beat the summer. Instead of regular white rice, i have tried this with Little Millet. You can try this with any millet rice varieties.
I dont have any special likings for curd rice. Even in marriages or any other functions, i try to avoid this rice and better go with kara kuzhambu or vathal kuzhambu. I always keep looking for something spicy to keep my tummy filling. I got this millets recipes book from an organic store. While i was looking for something to try, i got the recipe for Kambu Thayir Sorru. Instead of Kambu, i tried it with Samai. This tastes even better than normal Curd Rice. Lets check the recipe,
Saamai Thayir Sadam
Author: Preeti Tamilarasan
Recipe type: Main
Cuisine: south indian
- ½ cup Saamai / Samai / Little Millet – washed & soaked in water for 20 mins
- ¼ cup Milk
- 1 cup Curd / Yogurt
- 2-3 tbsp grated carrots
- 1 green chili – finely chopped
- 1-2 tbsp chopped coriander
- 1 tbsp grated ginger (or) 1 tsp sonth / dry ginger powder
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 5-6 curry leaves
- 1 tsp oil
- 2 cup water
- Please check the instructions below.
How to prepare Saamai Thayir Sadam
- Pressure cook samai with 2 cup water for 1 whistle. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- Mash samai and let it cool for sometime. Add milk and dry ginger powder. Combine well and let it completely cool.
- Add grated carrots, chopped chilies and coriander. Combine everything well. Add curd and salt to taste.
- Mix well. Heat 1 tsp oil in a pan & temper mustard seeds and curry leaves. Add this seasoning to samai sadam. Mix well and serve it hot or cold with pickle.
- You can try the same with raw rice or other millet rice varieties.
- You can avoid milk if you are going to serve the rice immediately. This is optional.