|Athikai Urulaikizhangu Poriyal / Anjeer Aloo Sabji / Fig & Potato Fry|
Today i’m sharing an interesting Sabji / Poriyal variety which is also little bland due to the vegetable we have used here. Before going to the recipe, i would like to thank all my friends and readers who keep visited my space and enquired about my absence from the blogging world. I was out of country for vacation and my absence may continue for few more weeks as my BIL is getting married.
I’ll be sharing some of the draft recipes for next few days. My mom prepares this poriyal without potato and serves with poori. Though i’m not a big fan of Athikai, but i like fully ripen Figs. We either make dry sabji or kootu with athikai. Since this veggie is bland in taste, i have added potatoes along with it. Lets move on to the recipe,
Overall time (Preparation & Cooking) : 30 mins
- 1 cup Unripe Figs / Athikai – cleaned, washed and cut into halves
- 1 medium sized potato – boiled and diced into cubes
- 1 onion – finely chopped
- 1 tomato – finely chopped
- 1/2 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 1/2 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala – optional
- 1 tbsp lemon juice – optional
- asofoetida – a pinch
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 5-6 curry leaves
- 1 tbsp chopped coriander
- Heat 1 or 2 tsp oil in a pan or kadhai. Temper mustard seeds and curry leaves. Add chopped onions and fry for a min on low flame.
- Add chopped tomatoes and ginger-garlic paste. Saute a while. Add chopped figs and diced potato cubes. Saute a while.
- Add turmeric powder, red chili powder and coriander powder. Stir well. Add asofoetida and salt to taste.
- Mix well everything. Add 1/2 cup water and cook it covered for 15 mins on low-medium flame. Sprinkle lemon juice and cook for a min. Garnish with chopped coriander and serve with roti or rice.
- The cooked figs will be little chewy. Cook it for 15 mins adding enough water and check it frequently.
- As the figs will be bland, you can try this sabji with the combination of other vegetables.