Chicken, Green Beans & Potato Curry, a mild spicy stew / curry based on coconut made with indian spices. I have always cooked mutton with potatoes since it gives unique flavor to the curry. Potato goes well with any veg / non-veg ingredient.
On our short trip to US, we first time tried our hands on non-Indian foods( except Pizza and Burger). And i liked the combination of Grilled Chicken with Roasted Potatoes & Asparagus. I wanted to try this combination in our Indian style, but since we dont get asparagus here, i tried with long green beans.
This method is simple and also similar to Kurma style preparation which is a very famous curry among south-Indians. I had abundant Shah-jeera present in my pantry which i bought to prepare Hyderabadi Biriyani. So i’m trying to use it in all kind of non-veg preparations to finish it off soon. This is an optional ingredient and you can skip it. I have used less spice, but if you want it more spicy then adjust the amount of chili powder. Other than that, dont make compromise with any other ingredient since the combination of all the masala used makes this curry more delicious. Lets check the recipe,
Chicken, Beans & Potato Curry
a mild spicy stew / curry based on coconut made with indian spices.
Author: Preeti Tamilarasan
Recipe type: Main
- To Marinate Chicken :
- 250 gms Chicken
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp pepper powder
- 2-3 tbsp thick yogurt (without water)
- To Fry & Grind :
- ½ tsp black cumin seeds / shah-jeera
- ¼ cup chopped coconut
- 1 medium sized onion – chopped
- For Curry :
- 2 Potatoes – diced into cubes
- 1 medium sized onion – finely chopped
- 1 medium sized tomato – finely chopped
- ½ cup chopped green beans
- 1 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
- ½ tsp red chili powder – according to your need
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- salt to taste
- 3 cloves
- ½ cinnamon stick
- 1 bay leaf
- 3-4 cup water
- Please check the instructions below.
How to prepare Chicken Beans and Potato Curry
To Prepare Masala :
- Heat 1 tsp oil in a pan. Fry black cumin seeds, chopped onion and coconut for a min on low-medium flame. Allow to cool. Grind in a mixer adding 2-3 tbsp water to smooth paste. Keep it aside.
For Curry :
- Marinate chicken with turmeric powder, pepper powder and curd. Keep it aside for 20 mins.
- Heat 1 or 2 tbsp oil in a pressure cooker. Temper cloves, cinnamon and bay leaf. Add chopped onions and saute a while.
- Now, Add ginger-garlic paste and saute a while. Add chopped tomatoes and mash the pulp.
- Add potato cubes and chopped green beans. Saute a while. Add marinated chicken and stir well.
- Now, Add ground masala paste, red chili powder and coriander powder. Stir well everything.
- Add 3-4 cup water and salt to taste. Combine well everything and close the lid. Pressure cook for 10 whistles. Remove from the heat and allow to cool. Serve hot with rice or roti.