Kozhi Idicha Varuval / Shredded Chicken Stir-Fry, a chettinad style dry chicken preparation which goes very well with any main coarse or use it as filling for roti wraps. The crushed chicken is cooked with fresh ground masala without adding water.
I made use of basic spices (peppercorn, cumin seeds and coriander seeds) which are used to prepare any style of Chicken Varuval. The fennel seeds are added to give a nice aroma to this varuval.
This is the recipe which we order regularly along with the famous Biriyani whenever we visit Thalappakatti Restaurant. I wanted to try this recipe at home. Moreover they use lots of oil due to which we never touch the masala part and finish off chicken alone. Not only in this particular restaurant, but it is the case with all other restaurants too. So Friends, do try this simple yet flavorful Chicken Varuval and enjoy with your loved ones. Lets check the recipe,
Kozhi Idicha Varuval
a chettinad style dry chicken preparation which goes very well with any main coarse or use it as filling for roti wraps.
Author: Preeti Tamilarasan
Recipe type: Side
Cuisine: south indian
- 250 gms Chicken – B/L
- 3 medium sized onion – finely chopped
- 2 medium sized tomatoes – finely chopped
- 1 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- ½ tsp red chili powder
- salt to taste
- 2-3 kalpasi (black stone flower)
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 20 curry leaves
- To Roast & Grind :
- 1 or 2 tsp black peppercorns
- ½ tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
- ½ tsp fennel seeds (saunf)
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- Please check the instructions below.
How to prepare Kozhi Idicha Varuval
- Dry roast peppercorns, cumin seeds, fennel seeds and coriander seeds till nice aroma comes. Roast it in low flame and make sure to not burn spices. Remove from the heat and allow to cool. Grind it in a mixer to powder. Keep it aside.
- Marinate chicken with turmeric powder and keep aside for 10 mins. Cook marinated chicken with enough water for 10 mins on low-medium flame till the skin turns white.
- Remove from the heat and drain the water completely. Wash it with cold running water and drain it completely. Now crush the cooked chicken with fingers. It should separate like thick threads. Keep it aside.
- Heat 1 or 2 tbsp oil in a pan or kadhai. Temper mustard seeds, curry leaves and kalpasi. Add chopped onions and fry for a min on low flame. Now, Add ginger-garlic paste and saute a while.
- Add chopped tomatoes and mash the pulp. Now, Add crushed chicken and stir well. Add red chili powder and little salt. Cook it covered on low flame for 5 mins.We are not going to add water.
- Add ground masala powder and salt to taste. Stir well everything and cook it covered on low flame for another 10 mins. Check it frequently since it is dry preparation and the masala may get burnt easily. Pour 1 or 2 tsp oil in between.
- Once the masala gets cooked and raw smell goes, remove from the heat. Sprinkle lemon juice if needed and serve with any main coarse. You can also use this as filling for roti wraps.